Community Center Play Care Instructor (part time, morning shift)
Status: Part-time/Temporary/Seasonal position, non-exempt
Salary: Starts at $11.00 to $13.00 per hour
Location: Community Center
Hours: The main focus of this position is weekday mornings 8:00am - noon; weekend hours and flexibility with shifts (will be planned in advance).
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Recreation Supervisor and Community Center ManagerCommunity Center Division
The Community Center Division of the Park and Recreation department has the responsibility for managing the Eden Prairie Community Center, Oak Point Pool, City beaches and Park Facility Rental. Division team provides a variety of affordable recreation programs and services for all age groups and all abilities. This division is also responsible for providing support to department Recreation Supervisors and the programs they manage including.Position Responsibilities
The Community Center Team is responsible for providing customer support and assistance to individuals at the Community Center through a variety of duties. The position responsibilities and areas of impact are: leading play care by working one-on-one and in groups to create a safe comfortable and creative environment. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Provides high quality customer service by consistently exhibiting an enthusiastic and eager focus to members that is prompt and courteous; greeting members with a smile, eye contact, and personalized message; responding to questions with accurate information or referring them to an appropriate contact; resolving issues in a timely manner while displaying a high sense of urgency.
- Caring for newborns, toddlers, preschoolers and elementary age youth while their parent(s) or guardians(s) are utilizing the facility and/or participating in a program, event or birthday party.
- Ability to work independently with children of all ages and abilities in a one on one situation, small group and large group setting, creating a safe comfortable, and creative learning environment.
- Ensures customers experience a positive experience by providing proactive communication, establishing a structured environment, and preparing activities based on expected member usage; provide useful information to customers in anticipation of their needs; facilitate activities and lead themed birthday parties to create a special event for children and their families; organize people, rooms and supplies; keep areas clean, neat and organized.
- Maintains a safe, friendly, and enjoyable environment for patrons by adhering to standards, policies and procedures, health codes, and regulations; inform customers of useful information and updates relative to the established guidelines in a positive manner; provide solution-driven problem solving when resolving issues and enforcing rules.
- Supports the Recreation division services including patron relations, registrations, reservations, meetings, events, and programs by providing general administrative support including word processing, data entry, filing, cash handling, and record management; provides parking lot attendant coverage as needed, which includes directing traffic within the Community Center parking lot.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.Position Requirements
Education: CPR (infant, child and adult) and First Aid certification within first 30 days of employment required and must keep their certification current each year.
Work Experience: Two to three years related experience preferred; previous experience providing work direction preferred.
Technical Skills: Ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos in English; ability to effectively present information in one-to-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization; ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.Physical Requirements:
Moderate physical effort is required for the majority of work with lift/pull/push/move/carry up to 50 lbs,intermittently including the lifting of children. Close interaction with children is required and may include sitting on the floor, climbing, pulling and set up play equipment. Some interaction with the children will include close contact exposing you to germs children may carry. While we do not change diapers, some contact with bodily fluids and excrement may occur. May have contact with individuals with special needs.City Expectations
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today and about possibilities; can inspire and motivate others; provides direct, complete, actionable and positive feedback to others; able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
Problem Solving: Ability to tackle a problem by using logical, systematic, sequential approach; makes a systematic comparison of two or more alternatives; notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information; identifies a set of features, parameters or considerations to take into account, in analyzing a situation or making a decision.
Project Management: Looks ahead to the future; identifies appropriate objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; continuously monitors project and adapts scope as appropriate; measures results and analyzes outcome; follows through on commitments.City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts professional reference and criminal history checks for all employees joining the organization. All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.City of Eden Prairie Application Process
Application Deadline: Friday, January 25, 2019
Review of Applications: by January 28, 2019
Interviews: January/February, 2019
Expected Start Date: Following Pre-Employment Process