Director of Development
We are seeking a Director of Development that can help us build on the momentum we have established over the past year. JustUs Health has a diverse staff of more than sixty compassionate and skilled professionals, with a seasoned and dedicated leadership team.
The Director of Development leads all fundraising efforts within the agency, in close collaboration with the CEO and External Affairs Committee of Board of Directors. The Director develops and implements strategies to expand philanthropic support for the organization and manages the implementation of all fundraising activities including: annual giving, planned giving, corporate and foundation grants, major individual and corporate gifts, and fundraising events. The Director supervises development staff and works collaboratively with communication staff. The Director develops and executes an annual plan of work, including specific fundraising and donor-development goals, and meets or exceeds these goals to ensure that the agency’s Mission is fulfilled.
Primary Responsibilities include:
Providing Development function leadership. Foster a culture of cooperation and mutual respect.
Development Strategy: Develops and implements a strategic development plan: Develops a multi-dimensional development plan that includes traditional and innovative strategies and defines clear, achievable goals, strategies, timetables, and measures of success.
Development Activities: Directly implements or supervises all development activities:
- Provides the vision, leadership, motivation, accountability, and structure for the agency to engage in ambitious, strategic, and successful fundraising.
- Ensures that grants and sponsorships through government entities, corporations, foundations, and other entities are strategically targeted, and that successful requests are submitted.
- Plans and executes individual-giving strategies and campaigns, including direct mail, email, and social media appeals, as well as direct individual solicitations.
- Monitors and analyzes fundraising activities on an ongoing basis and adjusts strategies and tactics in response to their demonstrated effectiveness. Ensures effective use of donor database to capture and analyze donor information.
- Ensures that the organization has the talent, resources, and organizational systems necessary to successfully implement the development plan.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion: Creates a respectful, inclusive work culture and environment to engage and retain all employees. Acts with intention to create and promote equity within the agency.
Staff Management Responsibilities: Responsible for ensuring the Agency has the talent and resources to meet short- and long-term organizational goals as well as ensuring maximum productivity and performance.
Financial Performance: Balances the organization’s fiscal needs with available resources.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Marketing, Business or other related field. Combination of education and equivalent work experience in lieu of degree may be considered.
- 5+ years’ experience of progressively responsible experience in fundraising, donor relations, grant writing, event management, direct donor contact.
- 3+ Years management experience demonstrating high integrity leadership. Proven ability to motivate and lead individuals and teams effectively.
- Communication skills: impeccable interpersonal, oral and written communications skills in order to convey a strong and effective message about the agency. Strong executive presence and public speaking abilities.
- Demonstrated Experience with Donor Management System or CRM required (experience with EveryAction, a plus).
- Organizational skills: the ability to manage complex projects, large campaigns and events that require planning and organizational skills to succeed.
- Must be able to set priorities and meet deadlines with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- A positive orientation to change and new ways of doing business, including the ability to positively manage change and transition.
- Ability to convey a vision of JustUs Health’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Proven success with fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Experience with Grant writing, and Government Contracts preferred
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups with demonstrated cultural sensitivity.
- Masters Degree in Marketing, Business or other related field.
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) credential strongly preferred
- 7+ years’ experience of progressively responsible experience in fundraising, donor relations, grant writing, event management, direct donor contact.
- 5+ Years leadership experience. Proven ability to motivate and lead individuals and teams effectively.
- 3+ years’ experience with Board Relations/committee work and strategic planning. Experience preparing and presenting reports to Board of Directors.
- Experience working in a mission driven Human Services organization and/or nonprofit.
JustUs Health provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. People of color, transgender people, and gender non-conforming people are strongly encouraged to apply.