Dental Hygienist - FT M-F
Days: Monday - Friday
Hiring rate or hiring range: Based on qualifications
Under the direction of the Dentist, provides dental examinations and cleaning for patients; including SMSC Community members and their families, SMSC employees and their families, and Native Americans living in Scott County, in a clinic setting. Assists the Dentist with tasks associated in the examination, gathering medical information, and providing treatments as needed.
- Examine gums, using probes, to locate periodontal recessed gums, sores, and signs of gum disease.
- Take dental x-rays as indicated in patient record or as directed by the Dentist.
- Assess and discuss treatment options with patients and develop a treatment plan to restore or improve dental health.
- Clean calcareous deposits, plaque, and stains from teeth and beneath margins of gums, using dental instruments.
- Apply cavity-preventive agents such as fluorides and sealants to arrest dental decay.
- Educate patients and provide instruction on diet, brushing, flossing, the use of fluorides, and other aspects of good dental hygiene.
- Provide direction and supervision of Dental Assistants as needed.
- Document patient information gathered during the evaluation, observation, treatment provided, patient progress, and any relevant medical information for each patient within the confidential patient record.
- Complies with HIPAA rules and maintains all patient information confidentially and securely.
- May complete other duties as requested by the Dentist.
- May be required to travel up to two weeks in a calendar year to treat patients through the SMSC Mobile Unit.
- Successful completion of an Associate's degree in Dental Hygiene from an accredited college or university.
- Must successfully complete the National Board Dental Hygiene Exam and be a Licensed Dental Hygienist in good standing in the state of Minnesota Board of Dentistry.
- Good computer skills to include MS Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as other health care related software as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must hold and maintain Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification. If not CPR certified upon hire, must obtain certification within 90 days of employment.
- Some travel required.
This candidate will need to be free to travel two weeks between April and November for our mobile unit.