Employer: Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
Location: Saint Paul
Closes: Open Until Filled
Category: Legal and Nonprofit
Employment Status: Full-time
- Saint Paul, Minnesota
- The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is seeking an intake specialist in its Saint Paul, Minnesota office. Second language fluency in Spanish is required.
Organization Summary: The mission of the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is to enhance opportunities for immigrants and refugees through legal representation for low-income individuals, and through education and advocacy with diverse communities. Our goals are to:
- Remedy legal problems by providing quality immigration legal services to low- income immigrants and refugees of all nationalities; and
- Prevent legal problems by providing law-related education to immigrants and refugees of all nationalities;
- Raise public awareness of immigration issues to encourage sound public policy that protects the universal human rights of immigrants and is both compassionate and practical.
BACKGROUND: The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM) is a 34-person office with five locations in the State of Minnesota including two Saint Paul offices and offices in Moorhead, Worthington, and Austin. ILCM has been in operation for 22 years, and is funded through individual, law firm, corporate, United Way, foundation, and local, state, and federal government support.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Intake Specialist will assist in the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit law office. The position is responsible for the telephone intake and eligibility screening of potential clients. The intake specialist will also schedule consultations with legal staff.
Responsibilities will include:
- Answer and process calls from potential clients during scheduled intake hours, and conduct telephonic screenings of each caller to determine whether he or she qualifies for a legal consultation.
- Schedule consultation appointments with legal staff and appointments for pro bono team events, and follow up with each caller as appropriate.
- Intake calls can include safety assessments and planning with callers who are experiencing domestic violence.
- Maintain client data in compliance with organization protocols and in compliance with grants and contracts.
- Maintain and update intake manual and documents.
- Provide orientation, training, and supervision to intake volunteers.
- Schedule and coordinate in-person interpreters for legal staff.
- Assist in proposal and grant report preparation as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in related field, paralegal certificate, or equivalent experience. Experience advocating on behalf of immigrants preferred.
Other Skills/Requirements include:
- Second language fluency in Spanish required;
- Excellent oral, listening, and written communication skills;
- High level of attention to detail and organization;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently;
- Demonstrated interest in serving the low-income immigrant and refugee community and experience working with persons of diverse economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds;
- Ability to work constructively with clients, colleagues, and other stakeholders. Able to work well independently and under pressure as well as in collaboration with other staff and with other organizations; and
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and database experience a plus.
- Experience with office equipment, including copiers, and telephone systems.
SALARY: Salary is dependent on experience. Benefits include paid-time-off; health, dental, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance; and retirement plan with employer matching.
APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to ILCM Legal, 450 North Syndicate St., Ste. 200, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55104. For further information on the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, please visit www.ilcm.org.