Legal Administrative Assistant
SFM – The Work Comp Experts
Work somewhere you love
SFM is unique in that we are small enough that your voice is heard, but has all the benefits and perks of a larger employer. We value your opinion, help you reach your goals, and make it easy for you to maintain work-life balance. Find out why our employees rate us a top employer and choose to stay and grow with us.
Since 1983, our mission has been to be the workers’ compensation partner of choice for agents, employers and their workers. In that time we’ve expanded to over 22,000 customers in the Midwest and grown our offerings to include vocational rehabilitation, safe patient handling, loss prevention, medical services and more. Though much has changed through the years, our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, safety, and providing better outcomes for employers and injured workers.
SFM’s in house Legal Department is seeking a Legal Administrative Assistant to be part of their legal team. In this role, you will provide high-quality professional administrative legal support to defense counsel team members for the protection of the policyholders and the Company’s legal interests by producing high quality legal transcription, managing schedules and tracking deadlines. Maintaining internal calendars and a diary system is critical, along with participating in regular communication within the legal department and various Business Units within the organization.
- Transcribes, operate a computer, composes, proofs, edits, photocopies, and assembles correspondence and pleadings, as appropriate and in anticipation of defense counsel’s expectations. Mails and otherwise distributes correspondence and pleadings appropriately and in an accurate and timely manner.
- Schedules and maintains calendars for the attorney(s), and coordinates meetings, such as depositions, employment evaluations, and independent medical examinations.
- Keeps the Claims Representative informed of all aspects throughout the litigation process, which will include but is not limited to remitting copies of Notices, Decisions, Awards, etc.
- File documents with courts; must be able to use a variety of electronic filing programs.
- Coordinates receipt of information through task manager using the internal company system,“Slapshot”, and routes documents to defense counsel and any other appropriate parties, and updates and maintains databases.
- Provides support to the attorney(s) by monitoring and reviewing daily mail and being proactive in responding to pleadings and correspondence utilizing standard internal company procedures.
- Assists with answering and/or routing telephone calls and greet/interact with customers and clients in a courteous and professional manner.
- Assists with closing legal files in the “Slapshot” system and coordinates scanning of documents as needed.
- Participates in other special projects and or administrative tasks as assigned, and work flexible hours as needed.
We’re looking for
- Associate degree, or Certificate Completion from a Legal Assistant or Legal Secretary program, or similar field. In lieu of formal education, a combination of legal administrative assistant or law office experience and education is acceptable.
- Knowledge of workers’ compensation law preferred.
- In-house insurance defense experience a plus.
- Solid data-entry skills with high degree of accuracy with the ability to transcribe legal documents.
- Strong computer skills (preferably in Word, Excel and Outlook environment).
- Experienced in use of transcription software/equipment.
- Knowledge of legal and medical terminology.
- Detail-oriented team player.
- Strong prioritization, organization and time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. .
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- E-filing experience is preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Able to be flexible with hours to meet the needs of the business.
Work takes place in a semi-paperless environment within an office, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopies, which requires being stationary for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Work is performed indoors with little to no exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions.
APPLY! Find out why SFM employees have stuck around for 30+ years!
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital, familial, or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected classification.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers. SFM is a participant of E-Verify. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.