Digital Communications Specialist
SFM – The Work Comp Experts
Work somewhere you love
SFM is unique in that we are small enough that your voice is heard, but has all the benefits and perks of a larger employer. We value your opinion, help you reach your goals, and make it easy for you to maintain work-life balance. Find out why our employees rate us a top employer and choose to stay and grow with us.
Since 1983, our mission has been to be the workers’ compensation partner of choice for agents, employers and their workers. In that time we’ve expanded to over 20,000 customers in the Midwest and grown our offerings to include vocational rehabilitation, safe patient handling, loss prevention, medical services and more. Though much has changed through the years, our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, safety, and providing better outcomes for employers and injured workers.
The Digital Communications Specialist Provides professional communication services primarily in digital marketing, writing, and editing to help achieve SFM’s objectives. You will use your expertise to support planning, development and execution of digital communications initiatives that align with key enterprise/department/program goals.
- Provides communications support and excellence in customer service to assigned business units and other internal customers throughout the organization to achieve objectives with regard to policyholders, agents, injured workers and other external audiences in a timely manner. Support includes assessing communications requirements, writing, content development and advising on other communication related matters.
- Uses creativity and resourcefulness to research, strategize and compose, publish and promote a wide variety of original content ranging from external full-length articles, to marketing campaigns and branding materials, for use in an array of online and offline outlets such as, print publications, email campaigns, Facebook and other social media postings, YouTube videos, blogs, etc.
- Acts as a collaborative team member, taking on new and changing roles as business and situations dictate. Roles may include project manager, photographer, videographer, editor, sounding board or contributor to new, non-conventional communication methods.
- Work on digital communications projects with a variety of partners who have their own specific goals/agendas. In this role, there is a need to help others prioritize, seek out the right expertise and ensure the work is aligned with broader objectives.
- Gains knowledge and understanding of SFM’s multiple audiences and the appropriateness of targeting through each messaging avenue, staying on top of trends and acting proactively.
- Works with subject matter experts to ensure literature resources are accurate and relevant through use of SFM’s proprietary review and revision tracking system.
- Develops clear and concise communications deliverables that promote SFM’s brand, strategic vision, mission and corporate values.
- Serves as a content contributor and publisher for SFM’s intranet and external website, as needed.
- Cross trains with team members to build skill inventory and act as back-up as needed.
- Assists in coordinating the department’s literature resources.
- Applies best practices and leverages data and analytics to drive recommendations to improve digital communications results.
- Continuously seeks ways to use technology to drive effective and impactful results and to help drive corporate strategies.
- Develops trusted relationships with key internal/external partners to collaborate and contribute to digital communication strategies that support mission-driven goals.
- Assists in the development and vision of the communications department, as requested.
We’re looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, English or related field.
- 3 or more years of experience in communications, digital communications, marketing, professional writing or similar field.
- Proven social media and publications skills.
- Knowledge of workers' compensation and/or casualty insurance helpful.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating clarity and professionalism.
- Adept at interviewing and researching.
- Advanced understanding of online media, email marketing, SEO and paid search campaigns. Strong initiative and drive for continuous accuracy, quality and timeliness of information.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment with co-workers, leaders and executives.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks, set priorities, and communicate needs within a team environment
- Self-starter who can work both independently and collaboratively.
- Detail oriented.
- Displays a talent for creative and engaging use of words and images.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts and terms into simple, compelling story telling for diverse audiences.
- Proficient on a PC and/or Mac with skillful use of MS Office Suite and other basic workplace software and equipment.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite software, preferred.
- WordPress or similar web content management platform(s), preferred.
Work takes place in a semi paperless environment within an office, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopies, which requires being stationary for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Work is performed indoors with little to no exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APPLY! Find out why SFM employees have stuck around for 30+ years!
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital, familial, or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected classification.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers. SFM is a participant of E-Verify. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.