Accounts Payable Manager
Accounts Payable Manager
Posted Date 1 month ago(3/11/2019 10:50 AM)
Number of Openings 1
Position Number 300734
Department/Unit Purchasing Services – Business Affairs
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for an Accounts Payable Manager position within Business Affairs.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission to inspire our students, using the Catholic intellectual tradition, to think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely – all for the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
This position is responsible for management functions for the accounts payable department at the University of St. Thomas. These key functions include; payables processing including p-card processing, IRS 1099 reporting, process ownership, project management, system administration and analysis. Customer service is critical as this position is responsible for assisting internal departments in payment processes in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. This position is responsible for providing support regarding policy, procedures and best methods to ensure solid financial controls and prudent stewardship of university resources. System skills are critical as the position must utilize, support, train and/or administer several financial systems including; Banner Finance, SciQuest, banking and check-writing systems, reporting tools, Microsoft Excel and others. This manager will personally process financial transactions and must have a high level of personal productivity. This manager role also provides departmental leadership for accounts payable employees and as the owner of accounts payable systems and processes
Accounts Payable Process Management & Processing
- Accounts Payable Processing – leads team responsible for the timely processing of University of St. Thomas accounts payable transactions including; invoices, check requests, independent contractors, employee expense reports, prepaid expense requests, cash advance, p-card, student reimbursements, petty cash, stale checks, check voiding and refund processing while ensuring the highest standards of regulatory compliance, accuracy and productivity.
- Check-Run - responsible for management and execution of weekly check-run including; running and printing checks, meeting payment schedules, monitoring payable cash flow, monitoring vendor discounts and dating, check register reconciliation and positive pay communication processes.
- Electronic Processing – responsible for all electronic methods of payment including ACH, wires, credit card and others as needed.
- Financial Controls – work with Controller's Office to ensure proper treatment of payables in compliance with GAAP, IRS regulations and University of St. Thomas policies and procedures.
- Disputes - responsible for resolving questions and disputes associated with payment processes.
- IRS 1099 Processing – responsible for timely, accurate processing of IRS 1099 documents.
- Data Retention – ensure proper scanning, storage and retention of documents per GAAP, IRS Regulations and University of St. Thomas policies and procedures.
Accounts Payable Process Ownership & Project Management
- System Management – Responsible for accounts payable systems including; upgrade testing, issue escalation and resolution, enhancement recommendation and follow-thru.
- Electronic Processing - researches and implements accounts payable technology to optimize electronic payment processing.
- Continuous Improvement - Maintains on-going expertise and pursues continuous improvement in accounts payable as relates to industry standards and best methods and communicates such standards and methods with university departments.
- Collaboration – collaborates with Purchasing Services, Controller's Office, IRT and other departments as needed on routine processing and projects.
Analysis of Accounts Payable Data
- Key Metrics - report on key accounts payable metrics semi-annually.
- Data Mining - review, evaluate, recommend and create and/or simplify accounts payable processes for the broader university community based on accounts payable data and industry best methods.
- Ad Hoc Reporting - Analyze accounts payable data as needed to drive opportunities with internal departments, vendors, consortiums.
Customer Service, Training & Communication
- Daily Customer Service Focus - demonstrate a high level of customer service to internal customers and external vendors representing Finance, and Administration's vision and strategic initiatives in a professional manner.
- Timely & Proactive Communication - respond to internal customers and vendors via phone, fax, mail, and/or e-mail in a professional and timely manner using good judgment and initiative with projects that improve accounts payable customer service, vendor relations and the welfare of the UST community.
- Documentation - develop, write and effectively communicate accounts payable related content via an e-mail, newsletter, website update, verbally, etc.
- Training - provide assistance, training and advice to customers on Banner and e-procurement systems with compliance to department and university policies and procedures.
- Supervise Staff – Supervises full time and part time hourly staff members.
- Student Worker Responsibility - delegates and supervises the hiring and training of accounts payable student workers.
Perform additional tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, business, or a relevant field
- Five years of professional accounts payable experience
- Two years of supervisory experience
- Higher education experience and experience with project management
- An equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills have been acquired may be substituted
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer