The mission of the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is to enhance opportunities for immigrants and refugees through legal representation for low-income individuals, and through education and advocacy with diverse communities. Our goals are to:
- Remedy legal problems by providing quality immigration legal services to low- income immigrants and refugees of all nationalities; and
- Prevent legal problems by providing law-related education to immigrants and refugees of all nationalities;
- Raise public awareness of immigration issues to encourage sound public policy that protects the universal human rights of immigrants and is both compassionate and practical.
BACKGROUND: The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM) is a 32-person office with five locations in the State of Minnesota including two Saint Paul offices and offices in Moorhead, Worthington, and Austin. ILCM has been in operation for 22 years, and is funded through individual, law firm, corporate, United Way, foundation, and local, state, and federal government support.
SUMMARY: The Receptionist is the initial contact person for clients, staff, and all visitors to the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota. This position is responsible for providing professional, courteous, and effective service in addition to other general office functions.
- Answer all incoming calls during scheduled office hours and handle caller’s inquiries or provide referrals whenever possible, or redirect calls as appropriate.
- Greet, assist, and/or direct visitors.
- Receive payments (cash, money order or personal check) and provide receipts.
- Receive, direct, and relay telephone messages, faxes, and general office emails.
- Process incoming mail, date stamping, and distributing all general correspondence.
- Maintain a welcoming and organized reception area, including stocking of informational materials.
- Coordinate communications with job applicants including receiving and organizing applications for team, providing search status updates, scheduling of interviews, requests for references or other materials, and follow-up messaging.
- Maintain an organized and up-to-date mailbox and administrative forms area.
- Maintain office/kitchen supplies inventories.
- Deliver outgoing mail to the mailbox each day.
- Maintain office copiers including restocking of paper, coordination of repairs with vendor, and changing toner. Log and file closed files to BDRS (storage), and request retrieval of files.
- Coordinate customer support with the phone system vendor, including submitting tickets regarding any issues with the system, placing orders as needed for new equipment, updating messaging and call workflows as needed, scheduling trainings, and maintaining the staff extension lists (to also distribute printed copy to all workstations.
- Maintain a current reception manual.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience in professional administrative support or customer service.
- Fluent in both Spanish and English.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in all Microsoft programs including word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), database, and email (Outlook) computer applications. Must easily learn database programs that organize client and/or contact information.
- Detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Experience with office equipment, including copiers and telephone systems.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and relationship building skills to effectively work with a variety of people and personalities, including developing relationships with clients, partnering agencies, Board members, volunteers, independent contractors, and staff. Able to communicate clearly in person and in writing.
- Understand and display high levels of internal and external customer service, with excellent listening skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and manage own work. Able to work unsupervised and solve routine problems independently, effectively and creatively.
- Applies effective time management skills in order to meet all deadlines. Displays flexibility to meet organization’s unique needs. Works with a proactive, ownership approach to work and operates with a sense of urgency.
- Work as an effective and proactive team-player; understand the importance of supporting coworkers.
- Understands confidential nature of organization information and maintains confidences.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THIS JOB
Incumbent must be able to:
- Hear and speak in order to use telephone and communicate with people inside and outside the office.
- Sit at a desk for extended periods of time and perform long hours of work sitting at a computer.
- Apply manual dexterity and visual acuity for computer keyboarding and office equipment use and light maintenance.
- Visual ability to review detailed reports and information.
- Physical ability to move around office area repeatedly throughout the day.
- Physical ability to move around Company grounds as needed to assist with events, emergencies, and operations as needed. Physical ability to move around the community to participate in external meetings/appointments.
Primarily work in an indoor office setting. Must be able to go outside in all Minnesota weather conditions, varying temperatures to participate in external meetings/appointments.
SALARY: Salary range is $15-$18 per hour, dependent on experience. Benefits include paid-time-off; health, dental, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance; and retirement plan with employer matching.
APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Human Resources, 450 North Syndicate St., Ste. 200, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55104. For further information on the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, please visit www.ilcm.org.