SFM – The Work Comp Experts
Work somewhere you love
SFM is unique in that we are small enough that your voice is heard, but has all the benefits and perks of a larger employer. We value your opinion, help you reach your goals, and make it easy for you to maintain work-life balance. Find out why our employees rate us a top employer and choose to stay and grow with us.
Since 1983, our mission has been to be the workers’ compensation partner of choice for agents, employers and their workers. In that time, we’ve expanded to a little over 20,000 customers in the Midwest and grown our offerings to include vocational rehabilitation, safe patient handling, loss prevention, medical services and more. Though much has changed through the years, our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, safety, and providing better outcomes for employers and injured workers.
As a PL/SQL developer, you will be a key resource for PL/SQL development, query tuning, data modeling, data interfacing including APIs, and look at ways to better utilize data. You will work closely with our software and analytics teams. You will also work closely with our Senior Database Administrator to assist with schema changes and some basic Oracle database administration.
- Works closely with the software development team to assist and consult on PL/SQL development including interfacing to other systems/platforms.
- Provides guidance on tuning of complex queries for the software and analytics teams. Assists in tuning the Oracle database as needed.
- Acts as an architect working closely with the analytics team to define data models for the SFM data warehouse. Performs extract, transform, and load (ETL) work to meet project needs.
- Works on projects where SFM systems interface to other systems including file transfers and API calls. Stays current on API and associated security technologies.
- Works as an architect/data modeler with the software development staff to develop major schema and data model changes. Tests and deploys schema, package, and trigger changes to the Oracle databases.
- Performs basic Oracle Database Administration while training to do more complex administration.
- Works with the analytics team on ways to use data for predictive modeling and other complex data analysis.
- Consults on a variety of business projects which involve data uses, collection, and reporting, Meets with SFM business team members as needed.
- Develops and reviews internal documentation as needed for key projects.
- Participates in team-oriented development environment. Keeps co-workers updated on project status that they are dependent upon. Works with other co-workers to produce timely high-quality solutions.
- Communicates effectively with leaders and management on project status and new work assignments.
We’re looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or information systems; in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, four years of industry experience, or a combination of education and experience will be accepted.
- Four-plus years’ experience administering Oracle Databases in a corporate environment.
- Excellent SQL skills.
- Experience with interfacing systems and working with APIs.
- Strong desire to take on new challenges and work on complex business needs.
- Strong problem-solving and metadata skills.
- Familiarity with insurance-related products and/or services a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a desire to work with both developers and operations staff
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong knowledge and comprehension of general business concepts, techniques and functions.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
Work takes place in a semi paperless environment within an office, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopies, which requires being stationary for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Work is performed indoors with little to no exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APPLY! Find out why SFM employees have stuck around for 30+ years!
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital, familial, or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected classification.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers. SFM is a participant of E-Verify. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.