POSITION: PURCHASING AGENT/BUYER
LOCATION: NORTHSHORE MINING COMPANY – SILVER BAY, MN
We have an immediate opening for an experienced Buyer. This position is located at our processing plant in Silver Bay. Travel to the Babbitt site, other Cleveland-Cliffs mine sites and other associated business travel may be required.
This position is responsible for the purchasing of assigned commodities and services. The Buyer will manage transactional activities related to both the purchase and timely delivery of a wide group of commodities. These activities include requests for quotation, bid analysis, supplier selection, order placement and order management. The position will have an operational focus with emphasis on customer service and the purchase to pay process. Further responsibilities will include the identification of new suppliers, managing supplier relationships and writing/negotiating supply and service contracts.
- Manage procurement of assigned commodities in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Manage transactional activities related to the purchase and delivery of assigned commodities at their lowest total cost and required delivery.
- Work closely with Operations personnel and the supply team to achieve operational and corporate objectives – cost, quality, delivery, and inventory turnover.
- Assist with collection and analysis of commodity data in coordination with other Cliffs’ site buyers and Sourcing Managers to ensure consistency in buying strategies.
- Assist with the development of qualified, competitive sources of supply on a continuing basis through comprehensive financial and market review.
- Build and maintain commodity expertise through interviews, plant visitations and research.
- Assist with qualitative and quantitative supplier analysis and pre-qualify supply alternatives.
- Develop Requests for Information (RFI).
- Prepare Request for Quotes/Proposals/Bids/Information (RFQ/P/B/I), assess results, document recommendations and communicate results to suppliers.
- Develop supplier selection criteria, evaluate supplier responses and select finalists. Interview and negotiate with both potential and chosen suppliers.
- Develop fact-based negotiation strategies and conduct negotiations with vendors. Manage supplier relationships, track supplier performance and communicate performance feedback to suppliers.
- Work with subject matter experts and internal customers to collect and assess business requirements.
- Resolve invoicing issues with suppliers.
- Conduct daily expediting activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM or CPSM) preferred.
- 2+ years in Procurement or related field is preferred.
- Operational/Industry/Supplier knowledge is preferred.
- Strong communication skills and must be able to interact and communicate with all levels of the organization and outside vendors.
Please note that all applicants must meet the physical requirements of the position by the close of the posting period.
Apply online at https://jobs.clevelandcliffs.com/.