Work that makes a difference!
As the only continuously funded anti-poverty program in the country, our mission is to reduce poverty and its impact on people in Ramsey and Washington counties.
Under the direction of the Financial Manager, the Accounting Specialist will provide support to the primary accounting functions of the agency, including the accounts payable, accounts receivable, and account reconciliation processes. The position is responsible for ensuring accuracy in each of these processes and for resolving payable and receivable inquiries and concerns encountered in the day-to-day operation of the department. The position is required to handle and maintain confidential information for key agency operations and functions.
Essential Functions (Not All Inclusive):
- Ensure accurate invoices, purchase orders and receiving statements.
- Ensure the agency’s programs and departments are in compliance with purchasing and payable requirements, including verifying appropriate completion, documentation and signatures on purchase orders.
- Resolves vendor and agency questions. Tracks payment status for account payable items.
- Processes void and manual checks; maintains departmental check registers. Verifies check accuracy, encloses attachments, mails, and files processed purchase orders.
- Perform cash receipt function for the agency. Receipt and log all cash and checks received via mail and walk-ins and prepare daily report for bank deposit.
- Prepares invoices for miscellaneous accounts receivable including tenant rental invoices and Head Start child care claim forms.
- Performs monthly reconciliations for all accounts receivable.
- Participate in and support annual audits as required.
- Assist in the maintenance and the management of the records retention schedule as defined in the agency’sAccounting & Financial Policies and Procedures Manual, including obtaining required approvals for secure disposal of documents.
- AA/AS degree in Accounting, certificate, or equivalent required.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or business related field preferred.
- 1-2 years of prior experience in an accounting and/or financial role.
- Must have good computer skills with Microsoft Office products including Excel and Word.
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with varied socio-economic and multi-ethnic groups and/or individuals.
- Working with and handling confidential data with appropriate discretion.
- Proficiency in learning and using multiple software applications to fulfill job responsibilities.
Schedule: M-F, 40 Hours/Week
Posting Dates: 7/8/2019-Until Filled
Community Action offers excellent benefits including generous paid time off (PTO), paid holidays (14), health, dental & life insurance, retirement, employee discount programs and more.
Community Action conducts criminal background checks at the time of hire. Some positions require additional fingerprint and photo verification. Not all backgrounds are a barrier to employment.
Community Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, familial status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, or status with regard to public assistance.