Housing Development and Construction Director
Housing Development and Construction Director
Position Overview: Reporting to the Executive Director, the Housing Development and Construction Director (HDCD) provides overall management, planning, and leadership for One Roof Community Housing’s single family construction and single and multi-family development projects. The position also participates in the general leadership of the organization as a member of the directors’ team.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Administrative Leadership: Work with the Executive Director, Administrative Director and Directors’ Team to ensure highly-productive management of the organization. Provide staffing support to the Common Ground Construction Board of Governors and One Roof Board of Directors.
- Ensure that the Executive Director and Board are kept fully informed on the progress of all housing development and construction activities
- Provide leadership in strategic planning, particularly with regard to direction and goals for housing development and construction
- Participate in Directors’ Team meetings and decision-making
- Contributes to the on-going creation and stewardship of One Roof’s culture as articulated in its mission, vision and values both internally and externally.
Housing Development and Construction Leadership:
- Lead the single family construction work of the organization with oversight from the Executive Director and the Common Ground Board of Governors
- Lead the housing development work of One Roof with oversight from the Executive Director and the Project Review Committee. Work will include providing leadership in identifying and developing single and multi-family housing and/or mixed use development projects, including working with municipalities, lenders, consultants, architects, and contractors to conceive, plan and implement new projects on time and on budget.
- Lead the housing development fundraising work in consultation with the Executive Director, CLT Director, project managers, estimators, and Project Review Committee, including supervising contract staffers for proposals and project management.
- Represent the perspective of the organization with regard to housing development to agencies, organizations, and the general public. Build and maintain positive relationships with partners, funders, real estate and construction professionals, and lenders.
- Lead the recruitment, employment, and release of staff for housing development and construction lines of business, including supervision of project managers & estimators.
- Assist with financial management of the organization’s housing development and construction activities, including ensuring that systems are appropriate and effective.
- Assist with development and monitoring of annual operating budget, particularly as it relates to development and construction income and expenses.
The Executive Director supervises this position and supervision is regular.
This position provides direct supervision to the Housing Development Coordinator, Construction Project Manager, and Construction Estimator and Sales Manager. For these positions, the HDCD oversees the hiring process and the development of work plans, conducts annual performance reviews, and provides input and leadership toward discipline and dismissal of staff when necessary. The HDCD may also participate in hiring process for other positions in the organization as is useful.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university and five years’ experience in two or more of the following fields: grant writing, nonprofit management, housing construction and renovation, finance, real estate development, property management, or urban and regional planning.
- Ability to work cooperatively and build effective relationships with government representatives, business partners, neighborhood residents, and the One Roof Community Housing Board of Directors.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Vision and leadership attributes which will provide direction for the housing development and construction lines of business and empower others to work toward those goals in a positive atmosphere.
- Good record keeping and organizational skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to Board of Directors and public groups.
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks at the same time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with others.
- Mission-Oriented: Committed to our mission of enriching lives and communities one home at a time and our vision of communities where everyone has access to sustainable and affordable housing.
- Cultural Responsiveness and Experience with Underserved Communities: Experience working with underserved communities including low-income families and/or individuals. Cultural self-awareness and a demonstrated ability to work across cultural differences with empathy and sensitivity.
- Commitment to Equity and Inclusion: A proven commitment to social justice.
Frequent travel is required for training opportunities, networking events, community meetings and for housing development related activities in regional communities.
Occasional evening and weekend work required for board and committee meetings and events.