CIVIC ENGAGEMENT ASSOCIATE
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT ASSOCIATE
MINNESOTA ASSET BUILDING COALITION
FIFTY PERCENT TIME
POSITION: The Minnesota Asset Building Coalition (MABC) is a statewide coalition of 140 nonprofit organizations dedicated to creating asset building opportunities for low-income Minnesotans and reducing systemic barriers to economic mobility. MABC is a project of Mid‑Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA). MMLA provides free legal assistance to low‑income Minnesotans, including older Minnesotans and Minnesotans with disabilities, in twenty central Minnesota counties, stretching from Minneapolis to Willmar.
MABC engages in nonpartisan legislative advocacy for state policies that promote financial capability, economic inclusion and racial, ethnic, cultural, geographic, and gender equity. MABC incorporates equity considerations into all stages of its work, including policy formation and advocacy, organizational capacity building, and decision-making.
MABC seeks a part-time (50 percent, or 18.75 hours per week) Civic Engagement Associate to assist with member engagement, communications, and organizational administration.
- Under the direction of the Legislative Advocate, facilitate the participation of MABC members in civic engagement opportunities supporting the MABC Policy Agenda
- Assist with trainings on Policy Advocacy
- Assist with planning and facilitation of MABC’s four Practitioner Learning Circles (groups of members providing similar services that communicate regularly on best practices and policy development)
- Travel to MABC member organizations around the state to meet with staff and clients to learn about and support their asset building work and facilitate participation in MABC’s policy work and activities
- Assist with planning and facilitating large events, such as the MABC Asset Building Summit and regional member events
- Write MABC e-Newsletter
- Update and maintain the MABC website
- Update and maintain member databases and contact lists
- Assist Legislative Advocate with scheduling and planning meetings
- Assist Legislative Advocate with grant writing, member dues system, and other activities as needed
Required minimum qualifications:
MABC is seeking candidates who understand the significance of relationship-building for successful civil engagement and policy advocacy, who are committed to racial, gender, and economic equity, and who are motivated to advance asset building policies. Additionally, candidates must have:
- A four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent job experience
- At least three years of experience working on issues related to poverty, equity, or financial capability
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to low-income and vulnerable communities
- Ability to build and maintain strong organizational and interpersonal relationships with staff practitioners at MABC member organizations
- Experience working with culturally and socioeconomically diverse communities
- Strong writing, public speaking, and presentation skills
- Ability to take both direction and initiative
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects
- Ability to travel around the state
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365 Suite
- Familiarity with the legislative process
- Experience with event planning and facilitation for large groups
- Grant writing experience and reporting on grants
- Familiarity with the field of asset building
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences and relevant language skills are pluses
STARTING SALARY: Salary is $22.06/hour to $25.45/hour DOE. Benefits include vacation, sick leave, family medical, life, and short-term and long-term disability insurance.
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible after position is filled.
APPLICATIONS: Submit cover letter, resume, three job-related references, and a writing sample by 5:00 p.m., August 9, 2019. Cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample should be submitted online at: www.mylegalaid.org/jobs
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER