Director of Human Resources
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Director of Human Resources is a vital role that leads the University of Minnesota Crookston’s human resource functions. The Director works closely with staff and faculty as well as consultants and administrators on the Twin Cities campus. We seek to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the community of Crookston and to offer our students varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning. The Director will have the unique opportunity to help build diverse recruitment initiatives, onboarding/orientation, compensation administration, employee / union relations, employee benefits, and compliance support. The Director is responsible for leading and developing the human resources support staff.
Key areas of responsibilities are:
- Counsel and advise senior administrators, department heads, supervisors, and employees on human resource policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Develop appropriate systems to direct, coordinator, and supervise all human resource functions/activities affecting faculty, professional and administrative staff, Civil Service, and bargaining unit employees.
- Negotiate University Education Association Crookston (UEA) contact.
- Oversee employment services including recruiting, hiring, reassignment, and orientation of new non-student employees.
- Facilitate the development of a campus employment culture that recognizes, affirms, and helps all employees draw upon cultural, communal and identity-based ways of knowing, being and doing to achieve performance outcomes.
- Serve as an internal consultant and resource to supervisors to promote a diverse and talented workforce.
- Ensure EEO/AA and ADA policies are followed in hiring, promotion and employment practices.
- Interpret civil service rules, negotiated bargaining agreements, professional and administrative policies, employment law, and government regulations.
- Coordinate compensation policies, job classification processes, job re-classification and disciplinary action processes in consultation with Office of Human Resources, Twin Cities.
- Talent management functions such as promotion of mentoring programs, succession planning, supervisor training, and performance management.
- Facilitate and encourage participation by personnel in professional development programs and opportunities to increase skills, knowledge base and competencies.
- Perform employee relation functions such as coordinate the grievance process and serve on labor management committees.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration or related field plus six years of professional human resource work experience.
- Demonstrated experience working and supporting diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Master’s degree in human resource management, business management, or related field.
- SHRM or HRCI certification designation.
- Six years of supervisory experience directing human resource functions in a government or educational institution.
- Experience facilitating training programs and/or directing workshops.
- Excellent interpersonal, teambuilding and communication skills.
About the Department
The human resources office is dedicated to fulfilling the mission of the University of Minnesota Crookston in teaching, research, and service to the citizens of Minnesota, the nation, and the world. In short, we are looking for our next Director who strives to meet the needs of our internal and external constituents in an efficient and friendly manner. Our single biggest resource is our people. We want all our people to feel respected, be treated fairly, be listened to, and be involved.
How to Apply
Application materials will include a current resume, or CV, and a cover letter. The cover letter will need to address the minimum and preferred qualifications in addition to the candidate’s ability to promote equity and inclusion at a small campus in a rural environment. Additional documents or a questionnaire may be requested. You can attach additional materials after submitting your application by accessing your "My Activities" page and uploading documents there.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com call 218-281-8345.
The University is dedicated to keeping you and your family healthy—physically, emotionally, financially, socially, and professionally. Here are just some of the many benefits of working at the U:
- Competitive wages
- Full medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Retirement, life insurance, and short-and long-term disability insurance
- A wellness program that rewards you for doing healthy activities
- Tuition benefits to further your education while you work
- Opportunity for public employer student loan forgiveness
- Leadership development and training opportunities
- Opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that the prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
The University of Minnesota Crookston is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Women and members of the minority groups are encouraged to apply.