Days: $50,000 - $60,000 based on qualifications
Hiring rate or hiring range: $50,000 - $60,000 based on qualifications
The guidance counselor is responsible for assisting students to help develop social, emotional, and educational plans that best meet individual learner needs. The counselor supports students through individual guidance and counseling and consulting with parents, and the Education Department staff. Represents the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community and the Education Department in a positive and professional manner.
- Provides a channel of communication for students to express concerns about their education or school program. Counsels with students on career development, college selection, and other post high school alternatives.
- Coordinates meetings regarding the development of individual learning plans for students who receive assistance from student support teachers.
- Communicates recommendations on the development of individual education plans for students who have special learning, behavioral, physical, and emotional needs.
- Initiates and follows up on referrals to principals, psychologists, social workers, nurse and health aides, parents and other community resources to achieve the best solution for student problems.
- Maintains, monitors, and interprets student records. Interprets test results to students, teachers, and parents.
- Provides information to juniors and seniors regarding dates of college entrance and placement tests, and other post high school guidance.
- Counsels with teachers regarding students with specific learning, behavioral, physical, or emotional concerns to maximize the teaching and learning process.
- Confers with parents regarding school programs and curriculum offerings.
- Meets with the Director, Office Manager, and Activities Coordinator regarding the procedures, and operations of the Education Department.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as necessary.
- Masters degree in Education
- Valid Minnesota certification in School Counseling
- Three or more years of related work experience in a school setting.
- Demonstrates a commitment to promoting high academic success for each student
- Demonstrates strong communication skills
- Demonstrates computer skills, Microsoft, Word, and Excel
- Valid driver's license with good driving record
- C.P.R. and First Aid Certifications or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment