NEXT AVENUE DIRECTOR
Twin Cities PBS seeks a mission-minded leader passionate about the future of digital journalism and leading a mature publication through its next evolution. Next Avenue—public media’s first and only national digital journalism service for adults over 50—is a trusted guide for what is now the largest segment of the adult population as they navigate a world where expectations for aging are changing.
Next Avenue fills an unmet need in the media marketplace with quality information and conversations on aging across health and well-being, caregiving, personal finance, work and purpose, arts and entertainment, lifestyle, relationships, and technology. Our stories reach millions of people each month to inspire and change lives for the better. We know that because we hear it from our readers every day.
The Next Avenue Director is responsible for the editorial, operational, strategic, and financial success of Next Avenue. As our ideal candidate, you will have deep experience with the aging and longevity market and a passion for driving Next Avenue the to the next level, working across multiple platforms that include the website, newsletters, video, social, and voice. Our most successful directors have had multidisciplinary experience with the following: journalism, product development, digital strategy, financial sustainability, audience engagement, and design thinking methodologies.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Strategic leader who creates the vision for Next Avenue and leads the editorial, product, audience, partnerships, and business teams to achieve that vision.
- Team leader who cultivates, develops, inspires and manages a team of editors, writers, media creators, and freelancers.
- Editorial steward who upholds editorial values and policies including reporting best practices, fact-checking, copy editing, feedback, ethical guidelines, and embracing diversity.
- PBS system partner who actively manages relationships with PBS, national producers, and PBS system partners to support efforts around funding, editorial collaborations, content distribution, product development, station outreach, and revenue-generating initiatives.
- Innovative thinker to expand opportunities around chat bots, smart speakers, newsletters, and push notifications.
- Engaging and compelling presenter who shares passion, impact and importance of Next Avenue at conferences, events, and networking and fundraising opportunities.
- Revenue and budget driver who oversees annual budgeting and the revenue pipeline, working with finance partners to assure accurate and appropriate financial monitoring and reporting.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7+ years of experience leading a digital journalism vertical.
- 5-10 years of experience managing and leading cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrable experience and success in achieving financial viability of digital media products and services.
- Success as a digital media content and marketing strategist.
- Experience in creating, cultivating and maintaining strategic partnerships.
- Outstanding presentation and written communication skills.
- Commitment to diversity of voices and experiences.
- Familiarity with design thinking/human-centered design approach.
- A commitment to ethical business practices and high standards of editorial integrity consistent with the brand of Twin Cities PBS and public media.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
If you have the required skills and abilities, please submit your cover letter, resume and two writing samples on our Career Center at http://www.tpt.org/careers/job-openings