Senior Accountant (Accountant III)
Senior Accountant (Accountant III)
Posted Date 1 week ago(10/4/2019 7:17 AM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 300731
Department/Unit Controller's Office - Business Affairs
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Senior Accountant opportunity within the Controller's Office.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. Our convictions of dignity, diversity and personal attention call us to embody and champion a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We welcome applicants of diverse races, ethnicities, geographic origins, gender identities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, religions, work experience, physical and intellectual abilities, and financial means. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission to inspire our students, using the Catholic intellectual tradition, to think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely – all for the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
The Senior Accountant reports to the Assistant Controller and is responsible for tax compliance and internal audit. The internal audit duties include assisting in the planning of the internal audit(s), execution of the audits and summarization of internal audit findings, which are then presented by the Controller to the Audit Finance Committee. The tax compliance duties include completing workpapers and schedules for the Forms 990 and 990T, prepare and file the form 1042, 1042S, sales tax and other tax filings as needed; keeping abreast of all new federal, Minnesota and local tax laws and implementing new policies and procedures as needed; ensuring tax compliance.
Tax Compliance: Prepare and File all required Tax Returns
- Prepare Form 990 and 990T annually, ensuring accuracy & completeness of tax returns and reconciles to the audited financial statements.
- Prepare report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) for our foreign bank accounts.
- Working with legal council and board support staff to gather, review and document conflicts provided by board members and highly compensated staff. Evaluate conflicts that need to be included on the Form 990.
- Ensure all trust returns are prepared; coordinate filing with IRS and state.
- Analyze UBIT (unrelated business income tax) to ensure that all UBIT activities have been identified and accounted for properly.
- Coordinate all federal and state tax audits.
- Work with Treasury Department to monitor and maintain post-issuance tax-exempt bond compliance.
Monitor and Assist Departments with Tax Compliance & Tax Issues
- Coordinate with Purchasing Department and Accounts Payable to update policies and procedures to ensure compliance with IRS regulations and include reference to tax code; ensure that all forms are compliant.
- Be a resource for all development questions/issues on charitable giving, unitrusts, annuities, gifts in kind and contributed services and related IRS regulations.
- Monitor and review procedure for accounting for tuition remission, retirement, etc. as it relates to payroll.
- Review annual filing of W-2s and W-3s and other required filings to ensure accuracy and completeness as needed.
- Work with payroll on specific tax and reporting issues, i.e., taxable fringe benefits, club dues, moving expenses, personal use of UST vehicles, student FICA, foreign students and employees, withholding issues, etc.
Audit Preparation and Accounting
- Responsible for reviewing and approving departmental journal vouchers submitted via online system.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving new vendors submitted by Purchasing.
- Prepare audit reconciliations and schedules as needed and review workpapers for selected areas.
Other Tax Related Tasks
- Implement new policies and procedures as needed to ensure compliance.
- Keep all responsible personnel informed of all tax changes relating to their respective area.
- Keep abreast of all new tax laws and regulations as they pertain to the University.
- Communicate with executive management, department heads and others as needed to ensure UST tax compliance.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of quarterly MinnesotaCare tax returns.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of annual PCORI filing.
- Assist Accounts Payable with calendar year end review of individuals that have received payments which may be reportable on Form 1099 or Form 1042S.
- Work with Accounts Payable and departments in assessing Minnesota Entertainer Tax.
- Other smaller tasks and questions such as financial aid guidelines for selected groups (1098T), IRS tax exemption rulings, etc.
- Examine divisional and departmental operations at appropriate intervals to determine that the system of internal controls at the University are adequate and effective.
- Ensure that established policies and procedures at the University are being followed in a consistent manner.
- Report to appropriate personnel the results of such examinations, the opinions derived, recommendations for reported findings, and actions planned or taken. Provide recommendations for opportunities to gain efficiencies to gain capacity and reduce redundancies.
Sales Tax Reporting Review & Monitoring
- Conduct overall UST review to ensure that all sales tax items have been identified and accounted for properly and keep departments informed of those taxable items.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of sales tax reporting.
Nonresident Alien (NRA) Tax Compliance
- Partner with various departments to ensure NRA policies & procedures are accurate and provide training.
- Monitor compliance and all payments to international students, employees and vendors; ensure that all appropriate paperwork has been received and completed properly.
- Main contact person for all department, student and vendor NRA questions.
- Annually file Form 1042 and Forms 1042S as required by IRS
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or a related field
- Three years professional accounting experience with a demonstrated knowledge of GAAP.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for otherwise qualified individuals.
- While not required, knowledge of tax compliance for an exempt organization, non-profit accounting experience, and/or CPA license, will be taken into consideration.
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer