Assistant Fire Chief
Assistant Fire Chief – Training & Prevention
Status: Full-time regular position, exempt
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Salary Range: $97,843 per year to $117,416 per year
Location: Based out of Administrative Fire Department Offices
Hours: Varies based on operation needs
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Fire Chief
The Fire Department protects the life and property of Eden Prairie residents and businesses. The Department has four fire stations, ninety-five paid-on call firefighters and over 100 CERT members. The Department responds to approximately 2000 emergency calls for assistance annually, as well as conducting thousands of fire inspections and public education interactions.
The Assistant Fire Chief – Training and Prevention ensures readiness for emergency response by managing all facets of the department’s training initiatives. Assistant Fire Chief – Training and Prevention is also responsible for managing the Department of Fire Prevention, including the administration and enforcement of the fire code, investigating fires, rental housing, and providing public education to assist in having a fire-safe city.
- Develops short and long term training plans to ensure adequate and well trained response to calls for the entire spectrum of emergency service calls. Ensures that all firefighters meet or exceed state and federal required standards for their respective positions. Establishes department standards and policies related to training. Addresses individual or team performance issues.
- Acts in the absence of the Fire Chief. Assumes command at major fire scenes and directs the response teams. Serves as liaison between the department and other city leaders during significant incidents. Facilitates significant incident debriefings, identifies areas of improvements and implements subsequent changes.
- Manages the Department of Fire Prevention within the Fire Department. Develops short and long term bureau objectives to insure the long-term safety and education of residents and business owners.
- Develops annual training and prevention budgets, works collaboratively with Command Staff members on overall department budget and participates in the capital planning process. Negotiates contracts for related services or materials on behalf of the department. Monitors expenses and looks for opportunities to drive greater cost efficiency.
- Manages large scale projects, demonstrating a vision for public education/code administration, and training curriculum. Facilitates internal committees and external groups of stakeholders to arrive at effective outcomes and create ownership in the decision making process.
- Develops fire department leadership by establishing training and officer enrichment goals and objectives, monitoring performance and providing regular feedback and coaching.
- Manages performance of direct reports, including coaching, training, setting performance objectives and measuring outcomes.While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and member will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Associates Degree required; 4-Year Degree required within 4 years of appointment; Executive Fire Officer (EFO) or Master’s Degree preferred. Local Hazard Zone (Blue Card) Certified required (within 6 months of hire); a certified Minnesota State Emergency Medical Technician required. A valid driver’s license is required (must have good driving record).
Training: Must have competency in training development and delivery. Preferred training areas: Tactics, Building Construction, Fire Prevention, Administration, Disaster management, Hazardous Materials; Experience in Fire Apparatus Driver Operator (FADO).
Work Experience: Minimum of seven years’ experience with a fire department of a similar size; current fire department rank must be at least: Captain for not less than two years, or Lieutenant for not less than three years.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in MS Office and other database management software required; competency in all facets of the National Incident Management System. Preferred competency in records management systems such as target solutions.
Physical Requirements: Physical demands are normally those associated with light work. However field work requires the same physical exertion required for any Fire Fighter.
Working Conditions: Most work is split between the field and a normal office environment. Active participation in field activities, such as major events, natural or man-made disasters or events with a high public profile can come with intermittent exposure to hazardous or disagreeable working conditions.
Response Requirements: Must have residence within 15 minutes of one of the four Eden Prairie Fire Stations within six months of employment offer.
Position Specific Expectations
Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; makes each individual’s work feel important; is someone people like working for and with; able to motivate direct reports, project members and a team; invites input and encourages contribution; empowers others; effectively delegates by sharing responsibilities and accountability.
Composure: Exhibits self-confidence and asserts self appropriately to advocate a point of view; is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; maintains balance even when unexpected circumstances arise; able to identify and manage crisis situations; faces adversity head on; energized by tough challenges.
Communication: Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today and about possibilities; can inspire and motivate others; provides direct, complete, actionable and positive feedback to others; able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
Delegation: Able to provide work direction; identifies attributes of team members; keeps strengths in mind when assigning tasks and responsibilities; sets goals and objectives for others; follows up and provides assistance as needed; ensures work is completed in a timely manner.
Business Acumen: Understands competition within a private marketplace; develops effective business strategies to maximize profit or value to customers.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Education and work history verification
- Background Investigation
- Psychological Evaluation
- Pre-Employment Physical Exam
- Physical Ability TestAll final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
To be considered for this position, candidates must submit an application by the application deadline.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
Review Applications/Communicate to Candidates: by Monday, October 28, 2019
First Round Interviews: Week of October 28, 2019 & November 4, 2019
Final Round Interviews: Tuesday, November 12, 2019