Corporate Safety Director
Essential Job Functions:
- Implements and directs safety programs for all NA plants.
- Provide general safety orientation for newly hired employees and follow-up training for existing employees.
- Oversee, track and maintain the facilitation of safety footwear, prescription safety glasses, and uniforms to all new employees while sustaining all other departments’ required PPE to include hazard certifications and gear.
- Recommend and develop safety procedures and practices to included PPE requirements.
- Identify safety-training needs and train supervisors/managers of their safety responsibilities.
- Maintain logs and recording requirements for OSHA 300, OSHA 300A, and SDS data sheets and software.
- Coordinate and facilitate Monthly Safety Meetings and serve as chairperson.
- Organize and run NA interoffice safety meetings via Lifesize
- Establish and maintain injury rate below a self-specified target.
- Responsible for tracking injuries, near misses and implementing timely and effective countermeasures for all documented incidents/injuries.
- Investigate accidents and complete required reports and submit findings to management.
- Conduct safety audits and hazard analysis.
- Ensure compliance and communication with all government and environmental agencies that include standard documentation with the following but not limited to; OSHA/EPA/MPCA/WC.
- In charge of hazardous waste compliances, reporting and training, and inspections.
- Coordinate companywide flu shots, audiometric testing, Respitory fit testing, CPR/1st Aid/AED, and IH testing.
- Responsible for corporate safety budget; will collaborate with production managers on developing, maintaining, and implementing.
- Responsible for helping with the following:
- Scheduling employee MSHA refresher classes and training
- Assist HR with Job Fairs, college/high school presentations and nicotine testing
- Coordinate with HR, DOT physicals and DMV checks
- Liaison for the purchase for safety products and work with vendors.
- Plant safety and ergonomics assessments.
- Coordinate with our insurance company regarding safety and health concerns and training.
- Spend time on the shop floor in manufacturing operations.
- Perform work in a safe manner and follows all safety guidelines and procedure.
- Domestic and international travel required and could include weekend travel depending on the project.
- Conduct site visits to our Yankton facility every other month or as needed.
- Performs related work or job duties as required by supervisor.
- May be responsible for the following;
- Research and respond to outside safety inspectors and consultant’s recommendations.
- Work with production engineers on safety projects or resolving hazards.
- Accompany outside safety inspectors and consultants on tour of facility.
- Serve as Emergency Facilitator and coordinate Emergency Action Plan.
- Ensure government compliance with safety regulations.
- Determine necessary safety equipment and protective wear.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for Entry Level:
- Knowledgeable of Federal and State OSHA regulations, Accident Injury Prevention and Worker’s Compensation Systems.
- Effective leader and strong negotiator with safety professionals, regulatory and/or industry organizations.
- Knowledge of HIPAA laws and regulations.
- Understands theories, principles, procedures, systems, and techniques in safety and IH.
- Must be familiar with shop/manufacturing environment and have strong interpersonal skills.
- Communicate, in English, effectively and clearly by both written and verbal means.
- Excellent data entry skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Demonstrate maturity, cooperation and discretion.
- Work effectively with co-workers, supervisors and managers.
- Dependability under both supervised and unsupervised conditions.
- Problem solving and trouble shooting skills.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical, drug/alcohol and background test.
Minimum Qualifications for Application:
B.A. or B.S. in Health and Safety, Safety Engineering, Environmental Health, Industrial Safety or related field.
5-7 years of experience in safety management or occupational health and safety in an industrial environment.
Knowledge of Epicor or similar ERP system.
Experience in Lean Manufacturing.