POSITION TITLE: Lobbyist (Job #2020-33)
DEPARTMENT: Policy & Public Affairs
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Manager of Government Relations and Communications
LOCATION: St. Paul Headquarters
HOURS/STATUS: Full Time
EMPLOYEE GROUP: TEMPO
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 9 Months
FLSA/GRADE LEVEL: Exempt/Step 1
The position requires lobbying effectively on behalf of Education Minnesota’s 80,000 plus educators, working with a team of policy & public affairs staff, member activists and other union staff to mobilize our membership in support of our legislative agenda, with an emphasis on preparing members for in-district meetings with legislators, Capitol visits, committee testimony, etc.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide professional/technical expertise and strategic recommendations in the development and maintenance of cohesive, effective lobbying and advocacy efforts.
- Advocate and lobby effectively for Education Minnesota’s issues consistent with our legislative priorities, platform and positions.
- Represent the organization and promote member advocacy at the Legislature, state agencies and related policy functions as appropriate.
- Prepare testimony and talking points for presentation in public policy, legislative and rule hearings and meetings.
- Track legislative bill introductions and voting records on key legislation and conduct legislative research as directed.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships that further the interests of Education Minnesota with key members of the legislative and administrative branches of government, education related organizations and community groups.
- Develop legislative materials and updates to inform and mobilize members to participate in legislative action activities that promote the union’s legislative agenda.
- Participate in the formulation of the union’s legislative agenda with member committees and other staff.
- Implement policies and programs consistent with the operational needs of the organization as determined by the temporary manager of government relations and communications.
- Facilitate leadership development through training member lobbyists for effective advocacy with policy makers.
- Identify, train and prepare members for committee testimony.
- Assist local unions with political/legislative organizing as assigned.
- Develop and submit work plans and reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education Minnesota leaders and members
Education Minnesota staff
Government leaders and agencies
Community and civic leaders
MACHINES AND/OR TOOLS OPERATED
Internet and browser software
Windows-based word processing software
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the legislative and political process.
- Understanding of lobbying principles and activities at the local, state or federal level.
- Ability to collaborate with others in a team oriented environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, speaking and making presentations.
- Experience in working with confidential and sensitive information.
- Skill in strategic thinking and problem solving, including the ability to identify and appropriately evaluate alternatives.
- Ability to analyze and interpret legislative language to determine its impact to the organization and to make recommendations for appropriate action.
- Minimum three years of experience working at the legislature or lobbying
- Bachelor’s degree OR AA/AS and five (5) years direct experience in government relations, legislative, lobbying or demonstrated equivalent in direct experience.
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience in lobbying at the local, state or federal level.
- Working knowledge of education issues important to Education Minnesota members.
- Demonstrated relationships with members of the Minnesota Legislature.
- Experience and skill in working with, and forming, coalitions.
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; have color vision, frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically lift and carry up to 40 pounds; occasionally lift up to 75 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
- Some after-hours work (evenings and weekends) and occasional travel with overnight stays may be required.
- Maintain confidential information as applicable.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For best consideration, apply online and include a resume. Posting is open until midnight of Monday, September 28, 2020.