Public Safety Officer (Security Officer)
7 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
The University of St. Thomas, Department of Public Safety, one of the regionally recognized leaders in college and university campus public safety, is seeking highly qualified candidates for full-time Public Safety Officer roles.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. Our convictions of dignity, diversity and personal attention call us to embody and champion a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We welcome applicants of diverse races, ethnicities, geographic origins, gender identities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, religions, work experience, physical and intellectual abilities, and financial means. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission to inspire our students, using the Catholic intellectual tradition, to think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely – all for the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
These positions are full-time, regular roles eligible for the University of St. Thomas' competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
Public Safety plays a major role in protecting the St. Thomas community, and has a proven history of educating, training and enhancing the job skills necessary for professional career advancement in policing and the private security industries. Full time employees are eligible for 100% tuition remission applicable toward bachelor's degrees including sociology or criminal justice/law enforcement and master's degrees including police leadership following one year of full time employment.
- Protect life, safeguard property and maintain peace and order at two urban campus locations through enforcement of local, state and federal laws as well as university rules and regulations
- Proactively patrol a residential community of nearly 2,500 people
- Prevent crime
- Respond to emergency situations
- Work closely with local police and emergency service personnel
- Establish and foster community relationships
- Conduct preliminary investigations involving criminal or suspicious activity
- Prepare, write and file reports
Public Safety Officers at the University of St. Thomas work 12-hour shifts. A determination as to which shift is available, day or evening shift, may not be made until the six month training period has been completed. This schedule is subject to change, dependent on business needs.
QUALIFICATIONS Education/Experience Required:
- High School diploma or the equivalent (e.g., GED)
- Two years of relevant public safety experience
- Associate’s degree in a relevant field plus completion of relevant Skills training
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must be able to pass the self-defense and training programs within the first six months of training as a condition of employmentThe initial training programs require day-time and night-time work in the first six months.
- Knowledge of procedures for effective security, codes and regulations related to the work, law enforcement procedures and terminology, and techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socioeconomic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person, often where relations may be confrontational or strained
- Understanding of law enforcement and legal issues that impact campus public safety officer duties basic computer applications related to the work
- Ability to interpret, apply and explain applicable laws, codes and regulations; making sound decisions in emergency situations
- College coursework/degree in a related or associated field
- Special attention will be given to applicants with campus public safety experience or those who are licensed or eligible to be licensed as a peace officer and are interested in furthering their career in law enforcement
An extensive employment and criminal background check and pre-employment physical will be required as a part of the hiring process. Full disclosure of all felony and/or misdemeanor violations is required after an offer has been made.
The ability to drive a motor vehicle in order to visit various university locations. Stamina to perform sustained physical labor to include standing, walking, climbing, and lifting. Strength to effectively subdue and/or remove persons in difficult or emergency situations. The ability to read printed materials and a computer screen. The ability to communicate in person and over the telephone/radio. The ability to work day-time or night-time shifts. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who require and request accommodations in order to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer