Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid
Minnesota Disability Law Center
The Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC) is seeking an experienced staff attorney focusing primarily on litigation to advance the dignity, self-determination, and equality of individuals with disabilities. MDLC is a statewide project of Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid and is the designated agency to protect and advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities in Minnesota. At this time, all or most activities will be done remotely. In the future, activities may be done in person and travel throughout Minnesota will be required.
- Provide legal services and advice to individuals which may include legal advocacy, negotiation, mediation, litigation, and handling of administrative and court proceedings
- Interview clients, review records, manage caseload, and conduct legal research
- Conduct discovery and motion practice in disability rights litigation, particularly within the intersection of disability, race, and gender
- Engage in systemic or complex litigation
- Provide training sessions about the legal rights of people with disabilities
- Collaborate with MDLC staff:
- Determining which cases to litigate
- Participating in case reviews to track new and ongoing cases
- Co-counsel cases with other law firms or organizations
- Provide technical legal support to other individuals or groups
- Apply the principles of MDLC’s vision and Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all work-related business and interactions
- Develop and maintain content expertise of disability rights issues
- Participate in outreach and monitoring efforts
- Be familiar with and participate in MDLC policy work
- Maintain effective communications with clients and staff
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Five to nine years of disability rights or discrimination-related litigation experience
- Ability to positively support co-workers while focusing on high-quality service to clients
- Second language ability, particularly Spanish, ASL, or Somali, is a plus
- Demonstrated legal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective litigation outcomes
- Proven record of effective case handling and outcomes
- Attorney applicants must be licensed in Minnesota.
- Attorneys admitted in states other than Minnesota can get temporary pre-exam admission
- Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are a plus
- Proficiency using Microsoft Windows and Office is required
- Access to reliable transportation as statewide travel is required
Salary: $55,312 - $59,976; upon Minnesota bar admission, D.O.E. Benefits include vacation, sick leave, family medical, life, and short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Applications: Applications preferred by January 22, 2021; but will be accepted until position is filled. Starting date will be negotiated based upon bar admission and office needs. Cover letter and resume must be submitted online at: www.mylegalaid.org/employment.
No agencies. No calls.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer