The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community (SMSC) is looking for a Controller to join the Finance department.
The SMSC is invested in Community Members' secure financial futures. To that end, the Finance Department provides a list of resources, including trust funds for Community Youth, referrals for finance or tax questions and concerns, and Community Member loans, such as home loans and individual economic development loans. The Finance Department oversees year-end tax reporting and conservatorship for SMSC Members.
- Manages the staff and functions of the Finance department to ensure timely and accurate processing and reporting of accounting activity.
- Coordinates all Community enterprise activities and information into monthly consolidated finance statements with the Tribal Government's statements. Review monthly statements produced for Community enterprises and provide analysis, comments and suggestions.
- Prepare and review monthly Tribal Government Financial statements. Assist in preparation of semi-monthly presentations of financial information for the General Council. Maintain Community Chart of Accounts in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Prepare monthly closing journal entries for General Ledger activity including maintaining depreciation schedules, grants, accounts receivable, deferred revenue, trust liability and other appropriate account reconciliations. Analyze monthly trial balance and make necessary adjustments.
- Coordinate with outside auditors on annual audit; preparing necessary schedules of work papers to ensure that the audit is conducted in a timely and cost efficient manners.
- Coordinate with Tribal CFO in development and review of annual fiscal budget and the preparation of the monthly actual versus budget department financial statements; and distribute and review with department managers.
- Conduct monthly financial statement review meetings with Community enterprises. Also conduct quarterly meetings with Federal and State Grant administrators.
- Interviews, selects, hires, and promotes employees. This includes employee training and development. Completes performance appraisals on direct reports; conducts disciplinary and discharge actions.
- Special projects as assigned, including problem resolution and involvement in setting up new Tribal enterprises.
- Annual review and updating of the SMSC Finance Policies and Procedures manual to ensure that it continues to align with the SMSC's mission and goals
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field. Master's degree and/or CPA preferred.
- Ten years related work experience, including five years of progressive leadership/management experience.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, FASB, and other laws and regulations pertaining to financial accounting.
- Knowledge and experience in a computerized accounting and financial reporting environment.
- Working knowledge of budget preparation and analysis.
- Proficiency in word-processing, spreadsheets and presentations.