Community Based Attorney
Community Based Attorney—St. Cloud
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid’s (MMLA) St. Cloud office is seeking an attorney for a new community-based partnership with Promise Neighborhood of Central Minnesota.
Background-MMLA-St. Cloud office: MMLA’s St. Cloud office provides civil representation to low-income people in nine central Minnesota counties.
Position: MMLA has received funding to support a community-based attorney at Promise Neighborhood of Central Minnesota, an organization based in a low-income neighborhood serving families and children www.pncentralmn.com. This exciting new position will work with residents on civil legal issues including housing, benefits, safety, and income. While the position will be largely based in the community, the attorney will receive support from office-based staff.
Provide representation on civil legal issues including:
- Direct representation and advice
- Complex litigation
- Policy advocacy
- Community education as appropriate to client, project, and office needs
- Concern for the needs and rights of low-income persons and victims of domestic violence is required
- Working positively and supporting co-workers while focusing on high-quality service to clients
- Forming and working in partnership with staff from other organizations to meet the needs of the clients
- Apply the principles of Legal Aid’s Racial Justice Values Statement, in all work-related business and interactions
- Proficiency in a second language is a plus, particularly Spanish or Somali
- Attorney applicants must be licensed or scheduled to take the July bar exam
- Attorneys admitted in states other than Minnesota can get temporary pre-exam admission
- Diverse, economic, social, or cultural experience is a plus
- Experience in working in community partnerships is a plus
- Proficiency using Microsoft Windows and Office is required
Salary: $51,000-$54,210 upon bar admission, D.O.E. Salary based on MMLA salary schedule. Benefits include vacation, sick leave, family medical, life, and disability insurance.
Applications: Applications preferred by January 27, 2021, but will be accepted until position is filled. Starting date will be negotiated based upon bar admission and office needs. Cover letter and resume should be submitted online at: www.mylegalaid.org/employment.
No agencies. No calls.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER