VP of Finance/CFO
Job Description Position Summary: This position provides overall strategic leadership for all finance, accounting, procurement and inventory control, cage operations, count operations, revenue audit and Title 31 activities in the Enterprise. Responsible for planning, designing, and executing on all key initiatives ensuring the digital transformation, development and implementation of a Finance department structured as an enterprise partner that ensures efficient operations, the use of cost-effective Enterprise Resource Planning systems and technology, and drives continuous process improvement initiatives. Provides leadership and development to all leaders and team members at all levels within the finance organization that fully aligns with the SMSC GE's purpose, vision and values. Responsible for modeling behavior and setting direction for all team members required to meet current and future needs of the Enterprise and the Community. The incumbent shall perform all duties within the scope of the position and the responsibilities reasonably assigned by the President/CEO and the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community Gaming Enterprise Board of Directors. Manage, plan, direct, develop, communicate, and coordinate all activities of the department and collaborate with all other divisions of the Enterprise to drive strategic outcomes and financial performance. In addition, this position also supports the finance, accounting, and procurement requirements of the SMSC in collaboration with the Tribal Operations Finance Department. Demonstrate and understand the competitive market, industry best practices, regulatory requirements and reporting, and overall industry trends. The priority is to ensure that the SMSC's gaming operations are positioned for long-term operational success and financial sustainability. Provide excellent leadership, engagement and oversight of all of the leaders and teams under the position's direct responsibility. This position is strategic, analytical, and operational in focus and will work collaboratively with all leaders and teams to achieve the required outcomes. The position is a critical member of the Executive Leadership Team providing financial thought leadership, supporting all enterprise initiatives and modeling leadership for the entire enterprise. Must have a high degree of credibility and demonstrate the ability to contribute value with all levels within the Enterprise. Budget/Asset Responsibilities: Responsible for the financial management and reporting for the Gaming Enterprise and the effective creation of forecasting systems and tools, and the management of a long-term operating and capital budgeting plan. Responsible to control expenditures and manage financial performance by driving initiatives that contribute to the overall enterprise goals. Provides investment analysis for all major capital expenditures, investment opportunities and any potential enterprise projects or collaboration. Collaborate with other enterprises and SMSC leadership that affect the financial position and performance of the enterprise. Responsible for financial regulatory filings and submissions. Leadership Responsibilities: Direct responsibility to lead and develop all Finance Department Team Members, including managers, shift managers, supervisors, exempt, and non-exempt team members. Provides leadership, coaching and growth opportunities for Leaders and Team Members. Continuously builds an environment of engagement, trust, inclusion, open communication, creative and diverse thinking, problem solving and a collaborative team effort. Provide leadership that is in alignment with SMSC GE purpose, vision and values. Lead by setting an example where actions and behavior are consistent with values and communication. Assure that the team members have the necessary support, information and training to effectively contribute to the team. Focus the team on expectations to support objectives and stakeholders of the SMSC and SMSC GE. Job Summary: Directly responsible for the strategy development and execution and management of all financial functions for the SMSCGE. The position will be responsible for the overall financial operations of the Gaming Enterprise including all aspects of strategic procurement, accounting and finance, revenue audit, Title 31 reporting, cage and count operations, inventory management and control. In addition, directly responsible for the financial reporting and financial management of the SMSCGE. This position is responsible for Gaming Enterprise wide key initiatives.
- Responsible for the overall leadership, management, direction and performance of the financial operations of the SMSC Gaming Enterprise and leading all team members assigned to those departments.
- Assumes a lead role in analyzing and exploring means of reducing enterprise operating costs and increasing revenues based on knowledge of market trends, financial reports and operating procedures.
- Responsible for the financial reporting for the SMSC Gaming Enterprise and SMSC's other enterprises, departments and services. Ensure that the reports reliably reflect the financial position of all entities.
- Responsible for the preparation, development, forecasting and analysis of the budgetary performance for the Finance Division and for the entire enterprise. Works with the executive management team to coordinate budget planning and establish priorities for the budget planning process; reviews planning process and suggests improvements to current methods.
- Responsible for assessing organizational performance to budget and to enterprise plan requirements and aligning solutions with the strategic, financial and cultural initiatives of the enterprise.
- Responsible for the creation and management of long-term operating and capital budgets and the related evaluation and planning for the creation of these financial estimates. Responsible for the evaluation of the financial returns and performance of all investments to ensure they are achieving the established goals.
- Responsible for the oversight, management and maximization of the enterprise's strategic procurement requirements and processes to effectively drive cost saving initiatives for the Enterprise and the SMSC.
- Responsible for maintaining positive relationships with the financial community, and directing all accounting activities in conformance with the generally accepted accounting principles.
- Responsible for leading, guiding, and developing the Finance Team and its performance in alignment with the enterprise purpose, vision, and values.
- Assists with overseeing and providing all pertinent information and supporting documentation for required audits by the SMSC Gaming Enterprise with external auditors.
- Provides analysis to the President/CEO on the financial performance of the enterprise and makes recommendations and leads performance improvement across all divisions.
- Ensures regulatory compliance with all applicable provisions of the Gaming Ordinance, the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, and the Internal Revenue Code and any regulations duly adopted by the Board of Directors and the SMSC Gaming Commission.
- Ensures compliance of all departments within the Finance Division with all policies and procedures duly adopted by the Board of Directors and the SMSC Gaming Commission.
- Responsible for defining, implementing and maintaining appropriate strategy, systems and services to facilitate all budgeting, accounting, forecasting, financial management tools, and cash access functions of the SMSC Gaming Enterprise.
- Responsible for the coordination of all departments within the Finance Division with the operations of other departments of the Gaming Enterprise, for short and long-term strategic planning.
- Responsible for collaboration and partnership with all GE functional and operational areas and is an active member of the Executive Staff on all general issues and presents Finance issues for discussion.
- At least fifteen (15) years of progressive financial leadership and management experience with budget, forecasting and planning responsibilities, with six (6) of these years at a senior management level. Experience within the gaming, hospitality, financial, technology and/or manufacturing industries is preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, business administration or related field required. CPA required. MBA Preferred.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal), presentation and collaboration skills at the senior management level, with the ability to interpret complex data, documents, legal documents and reports and the ability to synthesize the data.
- Strong understanding of process improvement methodology. Experience with large scale, transformational and/or process improvement initiatives.
- Experience in the selection and implementation of financial and Enterprise Resource Planning systems in a complex environment.
- Superior learning agility, problem analysis and problem solving skills. Shows openness, and desire to tackle new challenges and situations. Proactive in thinking and participates as a thought leader for the Gaming Enterprise. Considers not just area of responsibility.
- Proven leader of change and fully understands the change management process and how that translates to leaders and team members.
- Strong process improvement orientation/methodology and understands the methodology and how to manage though small or large scale process changes.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills to include word-processing, spreadsheets, database, presentations, electronic mail and messaging software with a strong knowledge of the functionality of financial, budgeting, gaming and marketing systems.
- A proven people leader with success building and leading high performing teams. Act as a leader of change and innovation across the enterprise.
- Skilled in proactively assessing organizational performance and aligning solutions with strategic and cultural initiatives.
- Demonstrated success of strong relationship management and team building skills, with ability to influence leaders and team members at all levels within the greater organization.
- Outstanding written, verbal, interpersonal, coaching and presentation skills with the ability to tailor messaging to the audience.
- Strong collaborator who influences effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels.