Assistant Attorney General, Employment, Tort, and Public Utilities Commission Division
Description: The Attorney General’s Office seeks an experienced attorney to join its Employment, Tort, and Public Utilities Commission Division (“ETP”), which is housed in the Solicitor General’s Section of the Office. The lawyer’s primary caseload will involve defending the State from employment and tort claims in state and federal court. There may also be opportunities to defend claims that Minnesota statutes are unconstitutional or to work on cases of state-wide impact.
- Responsibilities: One of the roles of the ETP Division is to defend the State and its agencies, officers, and employees from tort and employment claims. The attorney we seek to hire will have responsibility for a set of assigned cases (and charges), which the attorney will handle from the initial Answer or Rule 12 motion, through discovery, dispositive motion practice, mediation, trial and appeal. Each case is assigned another attorney to “second chair” it, and mentorship and training are available through formal and informal channels. Because cases can be venued anywhere in the state, periodic travel throughout Minnesota may be required.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA and licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota;
- Three years of direct civil litigation experience;
- An interest in handling tort and employment cases on behalf of the State before administrative tribunals, district courts, and in the appellate courts;
- Proven ability to litigate autonomously and make strategic legal decisions as lead counsel on a diverse caseload;
- Ability to travel to counties throughout the state;
- Experience using electronic files and case management tools;
- Proven ability to contribute positively to a team and interact successfully with clients and members of the public;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills;
- Proven ability to multitask by managing an active caseload and meeting tight deadlines; and
- Proven ability to work in an inclusive, creative and collaborative work environment.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Specific experience defending employment or tort claims.
Why Work For Us: The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity and respect. We’re a dynamic group of dedicated people who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling, and we’re actively building an internal culture that supports that calling. We invite you to apply to be part of the team that helps recruit, support and train dedicated attorneys, legal assistants, investigators, and other staff, all focused on helping Minnesotans.
We offer a great benefits package! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Public service with this office may qualify applicants to have part of their student loans forgiven under a federal student loan forgiveness program for state government employees. (Visit www.studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.)
Application Information: Interested applicants must apply by sending a resume, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply is Wednesday, March 17, 2021.
Note: The Attorney General’s Office greatly encourages, celebrates and values diversity. It is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or military status. If you need reasonable accommodation for a disability, please call June Walsh at (651) 757-1199 or (800) 627-3529 (Minnesota Relay).
Apply for Assistant Attorney General, Employment, Tort, and Public Utilities Commission Division
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly