Fleet Services Division Manager
Fleet Services Division Manager
STATUS: Full-time regular position, exempt
SALARY: $85,134 to $102,170 annually depending upon qualifications
BENEFITS: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
LOCATION: Maintenance Facility
HOURS: Standard business hours (7am-3:30pm), varies based on business need
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Public Works Director
Public Works Department
The Public Works Department is comprised of Engineering, the Water Treatment Plant, Utility Field Operations, Street Maintenance, and Fleet Services. The department is responsible for the environmental management, design, construction, and maintenance of the street, water, sewer, and drainage infrastructure systems in the community.
The Fleet Services Division Manager manages the Fleet Services Division with five full time employees and one seasonal employee. This position provides cost effective quality services to internal and external customers while managing budgets of approximately $3MM. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Provides strategy to fleet services division by scheduling and reviewing long-term projects and determines the quality and time standards that are to be used; prepares fleet services annual budgets and fifteen year equipment fund replacement schedule; provides equipment budgeting information for other department budgets; prepares agenda items for council approval and develops standards of usage, purchasing and retirement of vehicles and equipment; manages contracted repairs and costs involved following city purchasing guidelines and creating tracking reports by unit numbers.
- Ensures overall safety for the team by developing and providing safety training programs for operational employees such as Right to Know, Driver DOT, and Lock out Tag; maintains required certifications and training such as hazardous waste storage and disposal and underground storage tank certification; creates work plans, safety guidelines for equipment use and monitoring city, state and federal regulations.
- Provides leadership to the fleet services team by establishing goals, timelines and accountability measures; delivers annual review and consistent feedback; mentors individuals in the interest of growth and development; coordinates with the Public Works leadership team to for City policy and compliance.
- Actively participates in management level union related activities such as Labor Management Committee, Emergency Management, contract negotiations, and Safety Committee.
- Provides leadership on behalf of the City by coordinating emergency management functions for events in partnership with the emergency management team; delivers training for the fleet services role in the Sustainable Eden Prairie program.
- Utilizes fleet maintenance management software programs for tracking, reporting, and evaluating the needs of Fleet Services and its customers; creates reports for equipment replacement and ongoing evaluation of performance/costs.
- Manages equipment and vehicle acquisition and retirement in accordance with city policy and State of Minnesota requirements.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Associates degree, two year technical training or Public Work’s Management Certificate required.
Work Experience: Minimum five years of related experience required; progressive project and management experience preferred.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel & Outlook) required.
Position Specific Expectations
Presentation: Is effective in a variety of settings: small and large groups, with peers, direct reports, and management; is effective in all facets of the organization; uses effective tactics and techniques to keep audience engaged to facilitate results; provides direct and positive feedback to others.
Process Management: Knows how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; can see opportunities for synergy and integration; can simplify processes and design practices, processes, and procedures which allow managing from a distance; can make things happen by impacting people and results remotely.
Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; makes each individual’s work feel important; is someone people like working for and with; able to motivate direct reports, project members and a team; invites input and encourages contribution; empowers others; effectively delegates by sharing responsibilities and accountability.
Problem Solving: Ability to tackle a problem by using logical, systematic, sequential approach; makes a systematic comparison of two or more alternatives; notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information; identifies a set of features, parameters or considerations to take into account in analyzing a situation or making a decision.
Planning: Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and effectively delegates assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
Technical Learning: Effective at acquiring skills, abilities and knowledge; quickly learns new industry, organization, and product information; has an aptitude for retaining and applying technical information; able to communicate techniques, software or product to others; is a quick study; able to work under tight deadlines and pressure.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Education and work history verification
- Driver's Check (must have valid driver's license and excellent driving record)
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
Post Position: by March 12, 2021
Application Deadline: Monday, April 12, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
Review Applications: Week of April 12, 2021
Schedule Interviews: Week of April 19, 2021
First Round Interviews: week of April 26 & May 3
Final Round Interviews: week of May 10, 2021
Pre-Employment Checks: May 17 – May 28
Anticipated Start Date: June 21, 2021