Director of Finance and Operations
The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM) is Minnesota’s premier provider of comprehensive immigration legal services to low-income clients of all nationalities. ILCM is a 32-person office with five locations in the State of Minnesota including two Saint Paul offices and offices in Moorhead, Worthington, and Austin. ILCM has been in operation for 23 years, and is funded through individual, law firm, corporate, United Way, foundation, and local, state, and federal government support.
The mission of the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is to enhance opportunities for immigrants and refugees through legal representation for low-income individuals, and through education and advocacy with diverse communities. Our goals are to:
- Remedy legal problems by providing quality immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees of all nationalities
- Prevent legal problems by providing law-related education to immigrants and refugees of all nationalities
- Raise public awareness of immigration issues to encourage sound public policy that protects the universal human rights of immigrants and is both compassionate and practical
The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) will provide leadership and support in the areas of finance, business planning, budgeting, human resources, operations, and IT. As a thought-partner to the Executive Director, the DFO will play a critical role in partnering with the executive team in strategic decision making and operations as ILCM continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. The Director of Finance will oversee ILCM’s diverse revenue streams, providing financial modeling, reporting, budgeting, and grant reporting.
The Director of Finance and Operations will lead a team of 3 and report directly to the Executive Director.
Financial Management 50%
- Partner with Executive Director to develop business plans, forecasts, and financial analysis of new and existing programs; develop financial metrics and budget vs. actual reports.
- Formulate 3-year strategic plan with a focus on finance and accounting, financial resources, opportunities, and administrative operations.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of the organization’s fiscal condition and trends in collaboration with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to support fiduciary responsibilities.
- Manage organizational expenses and revenue projections to ensure ILCM remains compliant.
- Implement best practices; update and improve policies and procedures such as operations manual, annual reporting process, tools, and protocols.
- Lead the annual budgeting process, including preparation for Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet ILCM’s operating needs.
- Prepare and provide timely financial reports to the Executive Director, Finance Committee, and the Board of Directors; participate as an ex-officio member of the Board Finance Committee and attend Board meetings as needed.
- Ensure fiscal policies, controls, and separation of duties are followed and continuously improved to ensure sound financial practices, protection of assets, and efficiencies.
- Oversee the annual financial audit, mandatory state, and federal program audits, prepare submission of the IRS 990 report.
- Coordinate and collaborate financial management strategies of fundraising and development activities, including drafting grant budgets, preparing grant invoices, and monitoring the spending and compliance for foundation and government grants
- Supervise and support the work of the contract accountant.
- Manage operations; oversee risk management and liabilities for ILCM; work to minimize exposure to risks.
- Negotiate and review office leases for all ILCM locations.
- Oversee equipment purchases and supply orders, ensure rates are competitive and identify cost-saving opportunities.
- Provide leadership and support to Office Manager, Contract Accountant and Volunteer Coordinator, providing professional development opportunities and mentorship.
- Ensure the organization’s deep commitment to enhance opportunities for immigrants and refugees is reflected in our workplace, service delivery, and external partnerships.
- Manage IT operations; serve as main liaison with IT, phone vendors and consultants to ensure high-quality delivery of IT services and development of long-term strategic plans.
- Oversee negotiation and administration of vendor, outsourcing, consultant contracts and service agreements.
- Develop and review budget for IT services and ensure it complies with ILCM’s goals, guidelines, and objectives.
- Handle the procurement of IT hardware and software.
- Coordinate staff and volunteer training on use of IT software.
- Manage the development of effective safeguards for ILCM’s information systems including back-up technology, disaster recovery plans, cyber security, and password protocols.
- Ensuring continuous process improvement of disaster recovery plans and identify potential organizational risks.
Human Resources 10%
- Support management of human resources functions to ensure organizational compliance.
- Manage annual renewal of all insurance packages and coordinate vendor collaborations.
QUALIFICATIONS | KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or economics; CPA/MBA highly preferred; or, 10+ years of accelerated nonprofit finance and accounting leadership experience in lieu of education.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in accounting, finance, and operations; nonprofit finance experience required, managing multiple funding streams and programs.
- Demonstrated experience in a financial leadership capacity, managing staff, financial oversight and reporting, budget development, compliance with grants,contracts,and legal compliance.
- Successful track record in operations management and strong collaborations with program and development teams.
- Knowledge of GAAP, skilled in budget preparation, fiscal management, grants, and contracts compliance.
- Detail-oriented, ability to meet deadlines, and manage competing priorities.
- High ethical standards, sound judgement and maintains confidentiality.
- Experienced in building high performing teams, act as servant leader, coach, and mentor.
- Ability to function as an independent contributor and leader.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills; ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with staff at all levels across the organization.
- Excellent communications skills, ability to prioritize, negotiate and partner with a variety of internal/external stakeholders.
- Professional aptitude to develop and gain the confidence of clients, partnering agencies, Board members, volunteers, independent contractors, and staff.
- Technical proficiencies: Microsoft Suite programs; Excel, Word, Outlook, Database, Teams, SharePoint (advanced skills); strong financial software experience, Intacct preferred.
- Passion for the work of ILCM.
ILCM’s values are grounded in respect for and partnership with our immigrant and refugee clients.
- We bring our full legal passion, dedicated attention and highest quality service to our low-income immigrant and refugee clients and their families.
- We value relationships with the communities we serve and seek to express their full potential and contributions through our work together.
- We work with excellence and integrity.
- We believe in taking action to make immigration systems work for all.
ILCM prefers that the DFO work out of the St. Paul office but will explore remote work options for the right candidate.
ILCM is also dedicated to keeping our staff and their families safe during these unprecedented times. The Director of Finance and Operations will be a member of ILCM’s COVID-19 management task force. Additionally, if the DFO is based in the Twin Cities metropolitan areas, the DFO will be on-site at our St. Paul Office at least one day per week during remote work because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
ILCM is proud to offer a competitive compensation package:
- Annual compensation: $80-95k (DOE)
- Benefits: Paid- time-off; Health, Dental, FSA, Life, Short/Long-term Disability Insurance, IRA Plan w/employer match
HOW TO APPLY
Please send note of interest and resume to: email@example.com Deadline date to apply is May 31, 2021.
Visit our website at https://www.ilcm.org/ to learn more about our work in the areas of Advocacy, Education, Legal Projects, DACA Deferred Action and Reports and Statistics.
ILCM is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. ILCM provides equal opportunity to all applicants for employment in accordance with all federal, state, and local laws and will not refuse to hire any qualified individual, or otherwise discriminate against any individual by reason of an employee’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, or any other characteristic protected by law. ILCM is committed to providing all reasonable accommodations required by law to qualified individuals with disabilities who are applicants for employment and who are employed at ILCM.