DEPUTY DIRECTOR – FULL TIME
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking a full time Deputy Director to oversee the ongoing operations of MMLA’s Minneapolis office. This position would start as close to June 1, 2021, as possible.
BACKGROUND: Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is a five-office, 70+ attorney program providing free legal representation to people with low incomes, the elderly, and people with disabilities. MMLA receives funding from the United Way, the federal government, the State of Minnesota, several local governments, foundations, local law firms and corporations, etc.
MMLA’s Minneapolis office provides legal advice, representation, community legal education, and policy advocacy in Minneapolis and throughout Hennepin County in the following areas of law: housing, housing discrimination, government benefits, consumer, family, immigration, youth, seniors, and tax. The Minneapolis Office is staffed by 49 attorneys and 36 advocates, legal assistants, community liaisons, and support staff.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
- Legal work supervision and mentoring
- Professional staff development
- Evaluation and implementation of program priorities
- Participation on MMLA’s strategic leadership team
- Oversee the Minneapolis office’s annual budget of approximately $8 million
- Work with MMLA supervisory and administrative staff on the applications and reports for the office’s grants and government contracts
- Represent MMLA in state and local bar association activities and in external relationships with the private bar, other legal services organizations, and community organizations
- Apply the principles of MMLA's Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions
- Report to the Executive Director of MMLA
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of low-income clients required
- Minimum of seven years of experience practicing law required and should include supervising/teaching/mentoring other lawyers and litigation experience
- Applicants must be licensed to practice law in Minnesota or eligible for admission by reciprocity
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Applicants with diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences and relevant language skills are preferred.
SALARY: $66,868 to $92,617 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits
APPLICATIONS: Applications must include a resume, a cover letter explaining interest in this position, and salary requirements. Applications preferred by May 7, 2021, but will be accepted until the position is filled. Information should be submitted to: www.mylegalaid.org/employment
No calls please.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.