Hearth Connection is an innovative non-profit working to end homelessness. Hearth Connection works collaboratively with the government, service providers, foundations, housing organizations, and the people who obtain housing because of Hearth Connection’s work. Please, visit our website at www.hearthconnection.org.
The statements below are not intended to list all functions and qualifications of this position. Rather, they provide a general framework of the requirements of the position.
The Finance Director will lead the development and management of Hearth Connection’s Finance team. Developing and implementing financial oversight, developing policies reflective of our funding environment, and securing our long-term sustainability. Perform all accounting functions for the organization, is responsible for all aspects of budgeting and financial compliance and provides fiscal analysis to the executive staff and board, and oversees all financial and program-related audits. Works closely with the Human Resources/Operation Manager and Program Compliance Manager to ensure that day-to-day operations are appropriately executed, with consideration regarding internal controls for the organization. Consistent with best practices within the non-profit community and the highest standard of financial transparency. This is a senior management position reporting to the Executive Director.
- Serves as a member of the management team.
- Supervise and work collaboratively with the financial manager to perform the organization's accounting and financial functions and provide support and backup.
- Ensure the accuracy completeness and timeliness of internal and external financial reporting.
- Manage external vendors for banking relationships, legal, and insurance broker.
- Oversee the contract management process for program and vendor relationships.
- Serve as primary liaison to the finance committee of the board.
- Work closely with the board treasurer and the executive director and present financial reports.
- Annual compilation, completion, analysis, and presentation, working closely and the finance committee of the board in the process.
- Oversee the management for supportive housing service funds including Targeted Case Management (TCM), rental assistance, foundation grants, and other revenue and expenses.
- Manage assets and liabilities including temporarily and permanently restricted net assets.
- Design, implement and monitor the accounting system to assure that there are adequate internal controls to safeguard agency assets and that financial operations proceed smoothly.
- Direct and coordinate development of programs for revenue and expense budgets for current and proposed changes in services and assist in budget negotiations as needed.
- Oversee all annual audits and tax return preparation.
- Manage all purchasing and leasing of assets. Assure capital asset needs are identified and budget for acquisition, purchase, depreciation, maintenance, and disposal.
- Suggest methods to improve planning, operations, and reimbursement methodologies, as appropriate and consistent with cost containment.
- Conduct training for provider partners on financial reporting expectations and payment processing.
- Supervise and develop accounting personnel, conduct performance reviews, goal setting, and provide training and support.
- Leads continuous improvement and fiscal efficiency efforts for the agency in conjunction with funders, providers, and other agency partners.
- Work closely with the development efforts, providing financial information need for grant requests reporting, etc.
- Special projects and analysis as requested by the executive director and others.
- Serves as back up to the human resources/operations manager and the program compliance manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Each year the finance director, in consultation with the executive director and the treasurer of the board, will set specific goals to carry out these responsibilities.
Attributes Expected of All Employees
- Demonstrates initiative and leadership; takes responsibility for outcomes; motivates others; is results-focused.
- Builds trust-based relationships; supports teamwork and collaboration. Anticipates understands and meets the needs of Hearth Connection's internal and external stakeholders, providers, and participants.
- Acts fairly and with honesty and integrity; manages community investments in Hearth Connection responsibly. Promotes a diverse environment in which people recognize and achieve their potential and appreciate the perspectives and contributions of others.
- Decision making: Uses data for decision making; analyzes issues; is persistent and creative in problem-solving; handles complexity well.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the Hearth Connection service model and the role of an intermediary, conveys the mission, and inspires others; expresses ideas and information accurately and concisely.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration or a higher-level degree, strongly preferred.
- Five or more years of work experience in finance or accounting, with increasing levels of responsibility. Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership ability including supervisory experience, and experience working in collaboration with multiple parties with diverse interests.
- Programmatic leadership experience including policy development and management.
- Excellent organizational and oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to manage projects independently and effectively prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to identify trends, and collaboratively develop strategies to address those needs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fiscal management and accounting practices.
- Experience in public grant management and Federal/State compliance reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of personnel administration including regulations and legal requirements of employers.
- Strong influencing skills both within and outside the organization. Ability to drive consensus.
- Strong computer skills and experience with accounting software and Windows-based applications, including Microsoft Word and Excel. Prefer experience with Fund EZ or similar programs.
- Eagerness and ability to be proactive and demonstrate grace under pressure.
- Ability to contribute to the team approach of the organization. Ability to support the contributions of other members of the team.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive materials and information.
Hearth Connection is committed to affirmative action and a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees. Hearth Connection does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, HIV status, AIDS diagnosis, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political beliefs, military status, marital status, familial status, income, status with regard to public assistance, participation in local human rights activities, or any other attribute or characteristic protected from discrimination by federal, state or local laws.
Apply for Finance Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly