Quality Engineer II
Reporting to the Manufacturing Technical Service Manager, plan, analyze, administer and coordinate the Quality Assurance functions for American Augers in West Salem, OH. Write and revise methods and processes, as necessary, to ensure quality of the manufacture products, and assemblies. Design, implement and maintain cost effective, zero defect processes and systems to improve or assure the quality of component manufacturing. Compare actual performance to customer requirements and utilize projects to improve quality. Function as the primary source of effective communication between the Quality Department, cross functional teams, and its customer plants, suppliers, and Corporate partners. Facilitate the timely resolution of quality issues through utilization of corrective & preventive actions. Create and execute systems that will assure our customers’ requirements are achieved and maintained. Analyze the performance of our quality system and strive to continuously improve it.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist and advise inspectors to accomplish in-process inspection of parts, and incoming material from the vendors.
- Follow-up on Preventive and Corrective Action Requests, facilitating the resolution of non-conformities as they occur and respond to all customer and supplier inquiries. Work with suppliers and Corporate Sourcing partners to initiate corrective action on materials, processes, and products that do not meet the requirements.
- Develop and maintain customer/supplier and Corporate partnerships that will result in continuous improvement of Total Quality. Communicate with suppliers and customers to identify and correct quality problems. Visit in person to maintain understanding of systems & issues. Make recommendations concerning sourcing when warranted. Support supplier quality objectives.
- Measure and analyze key quality performance data; make recommendations to management on specific opportunities to improve quality.
- Prepare American Augers to maintain its ISO 9000 certification by overseeing the internal audit program and the document control program.
- Develop and implement process quality control on all manufacturing processes. Specify gages, analyze fixtures, sampling and inspection plans, and error proofing methods & devices needed to achieve control. Including overseeing the established calibration and testing program.
- Provide Quality expertise to aid in the development of annual, and long-term business plans. Including a Management Review of the Quality System.
- Provide Quality support, (through Design of Experiments, capability studies, 5 WHYS methodology, testing, control plans, and other quality tools to aid in quality assurance of mfg. processes. The activities include supporting tool design, setup improvement, mistake proofing the fixtures, and improve design for manufacturability.
- Be a leader in applying all “Total Quality” and “Lean” disciplines to the workplace; through the identification and implementation of new processes and technology to improve quality at the American Augers facility. This may include but is not limited to the use of advanced quality planning (AQP), auditing, production part approval process (PPAP), failure mode effect analysis (FMEA), and/or reliability and experience with manufacturing process controls to aid the effective Release to Manufacturing (RTM) of product and process.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical or industrial engineering or equivalent technical/professional training.
- 2+ years of experience in Quality Engineering.
- Experience with ISO Quality System rules, regulations, including planning and implementation is very important.
- Working knowledge/experience of measuring tools, and calibration system.
- Oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and superior organizational abilities.
- Ability to take initiative, to maintain confidentiality, to meet deadlines, and to work in a team environment essential.
- PC-based computing experience including MS Office applications.
- Experience in continuous improvement is required.
- Lean and/or Six Sigma certifications is preferred.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.