Duties & Responsibilities:
- Remove grease, dirt, paint, and rust from equipment surfaces in preparation for paint application, using abrasives, solvents, brushes, washing tanks, or sandblasters.
- Pour paint into spray guns, and adjust nozzles and paint mixes in order to get the proper paint flow and coating thickness.
- Monitor painting operations in order to identify flaws such as blisters and streaks so that their causes can be corrected.
- Sand equipment surfaces between coats of paint and/or primer in order to remove flaws and enhance adhesion for subsequent coats.
- Disassemble, clean, and reassemble sprayers and power equipment, using solvents, wire brushes, and cloths for cleaning duties.
- Mask surfaces with tape or paper in order to protect them from paint.
- Spray prepared surfaces with specified amounts of primers and finish coatings.
- Allow the sprayed product to dry, and then touch up any spots that may have been missed.
- Fill small dents and scratches with body fillers, and smooth surfaces in order to prepare equipment for painting.
- Apply logos and safety decals to finished products
- Paint by hand areas that cannot be reached with a spray gun.
- Dispose of hazardous waste in an appropriate manner.
Knowledge & Skills:
Paint sprayer and power equipment use and maintenance