This employee works with direction from an engineer or designer. He or she uses computer aided design (CAD) equipment to create or modify model files of machine components, systems and complete machines. He or she creates sketches, drawings, parts book illustrations, and bills of material, either personally or through drafter/illustrators, layout drafters, or data technicians. This employee also performs other duties as assigned.
- Creates design layouts, drawings, and illustrations of parts, welded assemblies, components, and systems using CAD software.
- Creates Parts Pages & assembly information from exploded views of CAD models.
- Reviews and verifies CAD files for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with Ditch Witch drafting standards.
- Solicits and evaluates input from various sources concerning design layouts and functionality to meet project and customer requirements and manufacturability of parts.
- Works with Production and PDC Shop to resolve issues with prints in a timely manner.
- Creates, maintains, and/or directs the creation/maintenance of essential design information and documentation including models, drafts, schematics, and purchased part documentation as well as supporting technical publications.
- Regular, continuous use of CAD system.
- Office environment most of the time, plant environment part of the time, and occasional outside work. Plant and outdoor conditions include variable heat and humidity, dirt, and noise; physical hazards such as powered vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic, sharp objects, and moving machinery, and working on or under equipment; hazardous materials such as fuels, lubricants, solvents, and batteries.
- Normal 9 hour work day, occasional workdays of up to 10 hours or more.
- Rapidly changing workload, priorities, demands, schedules, and deadlines.
- Associate's degree in Drafting Technology or Engineering Technology preferred, or the equivalent in formal post-high school training and experience.
- More than 2 years of experience in a Drafting or related engineering role is preferred.
- Demonstrate appropriate CAD skills, including solid-modeling (Solid Edge experience preferred)
- Exhibit excellent skills in organizing & prioritizing work in a rapidly changing situation.
- Have appropriate reading and clerical skills.
- Work well with others in a team setting.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge (or willingness and ability to learn) of PC based business tools including word processing, database, CAD, and others as required.
- Have a good work record, including indications of strong self-motivation, high productivity, reliable attendance, attention to quality, ability to learn new skills, and a cordial, cooperative personality.