Embedded Software Engineer
Left Hand Robotics designs and assembles robots that tackle difficult, outdoor tasks. Our first offering is an autonomous snow clearing and de-icing robot that is meant to clear walkways and other pathways that are normally only reachable by shovel or small, manually controlled snow
removal equipment. But this is only the beginning.
We look to employ a diverse and highly talented team. We are looking for innovators and risk takers - we are exploring a new frontier and we want people who are excited to take the journey with us. We are small but growing, so everything you do will have a real impact on the company.
We believe we have an array of interesting and challenging projects ready for those who want to challenge themselves. If you are excited about robots and to work with other creative, fun, and passionate people, talk to us.
Our robots are unique: they autonomously operate outside in harsh conditions (snow, cold, wind, and dark). Yet they must reliably perform their snow clearing job otherwise people won’t be able to walk or ride where they need to go. When it comes to snow clearing, failure is not an option.
Our robots follow pre-computed paths and rely on GPS and dead reckoning to ensure they stay on the path. The robots deploy a number of sensors to ensure that obstacles are avoided. In addition, our robots are constantly connected to our Robot Operations Center in the cloud where real-time status information is conveyed and stored so that our customers can monitor their robots in the field.
In this position, you will be responsible for designing and implementing embedded software vital to the operation and control of the robot. This includes low level driver development and real time embedded system architecture.
Required Skills and Experience:
● A bachelor degree in Electrical Engineer, Computer Science or Computer Engineering
● 4+ years of Real Time Operating Systems experience, building applications/architecture within RTOS environments
● 4+ years software development in Ubuntu (Linux), Linux Kernel, and embedded systems environment
● Fluent in the C/C++ language
● Experience in hands-on embedded environment debugging
● Device driver development on microcontrollers and processors running linux based OS
● Understanding of system level architecture, such as interconnects, memory hierarchy, interrupts, and memory-mapped IO
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Experience collaborating with others: express new ideas and happily listen to others
Preferred Skills and Experience:
● Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
● Experience with robotics, sensors, and related technologies
● Experience with ARM based architectures
● Ability to read schematics and understand electronic circuits
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.