Field Test Technician
We are searching for a technical/mechanical person with good communication and leadership skills, who is interested in a M-F regular shift opportunity with a great, stable and growing company. Our Test Technicians get to work on a variety of equipment and are an important part of maintaining the high quality of The Toro Company's product lines.
Visually inspects, evaluates, operates units, gathers data, and designs test equipment to determine compliance of products to safety standards, performance requirements and durability parameters. Summarizes and reports findings to Supervisor of the Field Test Site and Test Engineers for inclusion in overall test programs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Personally operates and evaluates Toro prototype and production units in both field and laboratory conditions according to established and/or newly developed safety, durability, and performance standards.
Gathers pertinent data on the performance of Toro products and prototypes under prescribed field conditions. Includes data acquisition with computer controlled DAQ systems such as SoMat products.
Maintains daily logs on all test projects and may write periodic, interim and final data summaries as required.
Performs required maintenance on test units and records such for inclusion in reliability and maintainability summaries. Performs teardown and inspection of test units at intervals or conclusion of test.
May be required to direct and supervise temporary employees in the conducting of the field test program - summer and winter. Helps instruct associate technicians in acquiring skills necessary to become fully qualified at test department procedures.
Assists Supervisor of the Field Test Site and visiting engineering staff in design, construction, and development of specialized test fixturing for field test units and projects, where applicable.
Some travel may be required to other local field test sites for data acquisition or performance evaluations.
Provide feedback to Field Test Site Supervisor on facility needs when required.
Monitors and maintains various Test Site Vehicles and equipment as needed.
Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- Provide physical and technical support to: Operations, Commercial, RLC, and SWS Engineering Departments. Interface with Test Engineers, Other Test Technicians, Vendors, Design Engineers, Designers, Drafters, PDL, personnel (Specialists – Journeyworker and Apprentices, CNC- Machinist Journeyworkers and Sheetmetal Specialists) and Management.
- Completes various Service Reports, timesheets, expense reports and test summaries in a timely, accurate, and legible fashion.
- Participate in keeping shop, work area, vehicles, and equipment clean at all times.
- Demonstrates the ability to handle stressful situations, changes in project assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a team environment supporting many different individuals.
- Associates or equivalent two-year Technical College degree in Engineering Technology or related field; plus 3+ years experience as a mechanical technician with demonstrated troubleshooting capability.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering Technology or related field (ex. Automotive, Manufacturing, Design.); plus 1+ year experience in the mechanical technician field and demonstrated troubleshooting capability.
- Strong learning aptitude
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications is required
- Must demonstrate the ability to learn new programs effectively
- Experience with data acquisition devices highly desirable, e.g. SoMat, etc.
- Previous supervisory experience required