Police Officer Recruitment
Questions about careers with ICPD? Email us at email@example.com
Application deadline: May 28, 2021
A Police Officer patrols by car and on foot to prevent crime and enforce laws; conducts investigations and writes reports; interrogates witnesses, investigates accidents and obtains and records measurements. Requires the ability to work with a diverse community and build relationships with the communities served; problem solve with the utmost respect for human rights and dignity; express oneself clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; observe facts and situations analytically, objectively and accurately; record the same under rapidly changing and stressful situations and render creditable testimony; use good judgment in evaluating situations and make decisions quickly and under pressure; diffuse difficult and dangerous situations.
1. Must be eligible to carry a firearm under all state and federal laws.
2. Must be a U.S. citizen and resident of the State of Iowa. Residency restrictions do not apply to applicants.
3. Must be at least 18 years of age and must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
4. Must possess a valid Iowa driver’s license at appointment and maintain such license.
5. Must have an acceptable driving record as determined by the City.
6. Vision of 20/20 in each eye or vision correctable to 20/20, with uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in each eye; peripheral vision to 120 degrees in the horizontal meridian in each eye; normal color vision.
7. Hearing sensitivity threshold within 25db measured at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz, and 3000 Hz averaged together.
Be sure to visit www.icgov.org/policerecruitment for more detailed, up-to-date information regarding this process
• ICPD recruitment video and message from Chief Liston
• Additional information on the POST and Physical Fitness tests
• ICPD Virtual Open House and Physical Fitness test practice session
• Test location maps including parking information (when applicable)
• Background investigation and driving record reviews
• Post offer physical and MMPI
• Test results, fitness test reporting times, and other announcements
To access recruitment information and receive updates by text message, text JOINICPD to 319-224-8811.
For more information or to submit required materials including DD214, disability accommodation requests, and/or documentation of successful completion of the ILEA fitness test, contact us at:
Human Resources City of Iowa City
410 East Washington Street Iowa City, IA 52240
(319) 356-5020 | (319) 356-5027 FAX