Position: Director, Minnesota State High School League
- Serve as MSHSL Director, modeling the mission and beliefs of the MSHSL
- Support students, coaches, administrators, and school communities as they maximize opportunities to provide education-based athletic and fine arts activities
- Communicate with member school personnel regarding the value of providing education-based activities and athletics and the value for students of participation in League-sponsored activities
- Lead in the areas of coaches’ education, administrator development or other areas as determined
- Collaborate with the members of the MSHSL administrative team, support staff, Board of Directors, Region Committees, Coaches Associations, Coaches Advisory Committees and Member Schools
- Serve as a member of the executive staff who are responsible for preparing and administering the rules, policies and bylaws of the MSHSL
- Assist the Board of Directors, the Representative Assembly and Region Committees in preparing, reviewing and administering the rules policies and bylaws of the MSHSL
- Work with MSHSL legal counsel and legislative lobbyist as required
- Serve as a staff liaison for the MSHSL Board of Directors Education and Leadership Committee
- Assist at statewide meetings by speaking at conferences, leading discussion groups, instructing ADs and serving as a staff liaison to assigned ad hoc/task force committees
- Administer, organize and manage MSHSL athletic and/or fine arts activities as assigned, including but not limited to: develop related initiatives for each activity, inform and direct section tournament managers, director of the state tournament, assignment of tournament personnel, selection of tournament officials, plan collaboratively with site personnel, rule interpretations, networking with coaches and officials, processing incident reports
- Prepare budgets, review, evaluate and assist in negotiation of site contracts and administer expenditures and reimbursements to officials, tournament personnel and participating teams for all areas of assigned responsibilities
- Work effectively as liaison to the coaches’ associations in addressing the needs of each program and building outstanding tournament experiences for students
- Serve as a representative and spokesperson for the League by:
- Speaking at League meetings, school functions, community events and professional conferences and workshops
- Writing on issues related to areas of assigned responsibilities and other educational issues in League publications and other education publications
- Preparing reports as required and requested by the Executive Director or Board of Directors
- Serving on state and national committees as League representative
- Providing interviews for newspapers, other publications, radio and television as a representative of the League
- Serve on NFHS rules committees or other committees as requested by NFHS or MSHSL Executive Director
- Chair sport association ad hoc committees as may be assigned from time to time
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director
Desired Personal Qualities:
- Effective Communicator
- Collaborative and Supportive
- Organized and Efficient
- Judgement and Problem Analysis
- Interpersonal Relationship Skills
- Teambuilding Skills
- Integrates Technological Skills Within Workflow
- Data Processing and Information Synthesis
- Minimum of a BA or BS with evidence of continuing education. Additional certification, or an MA or higher in administration or leadership is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership in the administration of League sponsored athletic and fine arts activities at the local, regional and/or state level or leadership in a similar organization.
- Demonstrated belief and action supporting education-based athletics and activities, with evidence within the candidate’s school, community or organization.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills in small and large group settings.
- Evidence of a student-centered educational philosophy and leadership.
- Values diversity and effectively works with and understands people from all cultures, economic strata, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Proficient, efficient and innovative in technological applications in the areas of communication, collaboration, organization, and instruction.
- Ability to organize and administer comprehensive high school activities and develop related initiatives for educational administrators, activity directors and other school personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, administer and evaluate people and programs.
- Identified leadership in the candidate’s current position to develop initiatives in the school/school community or in conjunction with other outreach programs.
- Supervisory experience for coaches, teachers, or other school personnel.
- Medical, dental, term life, and disability insurance
- Sick leave, vacation
- 403(b) retirement plan contribution
- Salary commensurate with professional qualifications, experience and comparable positions in other Section 4 and 5 high school Associations
- Other benefits as may be provided by the Board of Directors
- One-page letter expressing interest in MSHSL employment
- Résumé detailing administrative and program management experiences
- An original article, suitable for publication, on one of two topics:
- The state and direction of education-based athletic and fine arts programs as the country emerges from the Covid pandemic
- Address the values students learn through and the value of participation in education-based athletic and fine arts activities
- Specific information relative to the candidate’s involvement/development of local or statewide initiatives to promote leadership, collaboration with colleagues, educational seminars or similar leadership workshops
- Maximum of three (3) letters of reference may be provided
- Permission for background check to be done as a requirement for selected candidate
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of three additional persons who can speak about the candidate’s skills in fulfilling the primary responsibilities of this position
Announcement of position opening May 14, 2021
Deadline for receiving applications June 7, 2021
Announce selection of Director TBD
Begin employment July 12 - 26, 2021