- Employment Status
- Full Time
Status: Full-time position, Exempt
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: Eden Prairie City Center (8080 Mitchell Rd)
Hours: Standard business hours (M-F; 8am-4:30pm), hours will increase during elections on evenings and weekends to accommodate business needs
Salary: $81,099 to $97,302 annually
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Administrative Services/Human Resources Director
City Clerk Division
The City Clerk division is comprised of the City Clerk and Deputy Clerk and is responsible for the administration of elections, official records and City Code, records management, publication of legal notices and data practices, and serves as the Data Practices Compliance Officer and Responsible Authority.
The City Clerk performs the statutory duties of City Clerk including administering elections; administering official records, records management and data practices; maintaining the City Code; serving as a Data Practices Compliance Officer and Responsible Authority. This position also oversees the Deputy Clerk. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Directs and coordinates the records management program; creates, reviews and archives the minutes and official records of the City Council, HRA, and Boards and Commissions including resolutions and ordinances; maintains and makes available official City documents; manages and updates electronically stored documents; directs retention and destruction of official records; publishes legal notices; maintains and codifies the City Code; maintains City’s Record Retention Schedule; preserves permanent and essential records; analyzes and updates department filing systems; custody of the City Seal, prepares Record Management budget; serves as Notary Public and signs and certifies City documents; serves as Responsible Authority and Data Practices Compliance Officer; maintains compliance with Data Practices Act; oversees and supervises all public data requests; facilitates open access to public records using available technology; develops and provides data practices and records management training; maintains the Public Document of private and confidential data collected.
- Plans, supervises, coordinates and administers elections; ensures legality, impartiality and integrity in the election process; develops and updates election judge training programs and procedure guidelines; arranges for polling places; administers procedures for candidate filings and filing of financial reports; organizes and supervises absentee voting; prepares statistical analyses; certifies election results; prepares election budget; maintains and tests voting equipment; determines and recommends revisions to precinct boundaries and reviews the population distribution of precincts; serves as recount official.
- Monitors legislative issues and law changes affecting elections, data practices and records management; receives lawsuits, subpoenas, liability claims; provides support/recommendations to Information Technology regarding record/file management and computer training; provides information and assistance to the public and City staff on issues regarding record management, data practices and city code; updates city polices; backup for preparing City Council agenda packet; prepares City Clerk budget; assists on special projects.
While these areas are the primary focus of this position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in political science, public administration, business administration, or a related field required. Significant related experience and certification may substitute for education requirement. Possession of certification(s) as a Municipal Clerk is desirable.
Work Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of experience as City Clerk or Deputy City Clerk, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience required; additional records management, data practices, and election experience preferred. Experience with Laserfische preferred.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher and Outlook) required; State Voter Registration System experience preferred.
Physical Requirements: Physical effort is light for the majority of work with lifting or carrying limited to 25 pounds intermittently. During elections there is considerable effort required to comply with all election laws and regulations. Pressure from deadlines associated with this position occur 20-40% of the time. During election years the pressure from responsibilities and deadlines associated with this position occur 40-60% of the time.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a normal office environment. Occasional driving or riding is required to attend meetings. During elections there is a change in working hours to accommodate needs of the election.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Composure: Exhibits self-confidence and asserts self appropriately in several different situations; maintains professionalism while under pressure; can handle stress; energized by tough challenges.
Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
Problem Solving: Ability to tackle a problem by using logical, systematic, sequential approach; makes a systematic comparison of two or more alternatives; notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information; identifies a set of features, parameters or considerations to take into account in analyzing a situation or making a decision.
Project Management: Looks ahead to the future; identifies appropriate objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; continuously monitors project and adapts scope as appropriate; measures results and analyzes outcome; follows through on commitments.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Education and work history verification
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
Post Date: June 1, 2021
Application Deadline: Friday, June 18 by 4:00 p.m.
First Round Interviews (Virtual): Week of June 21
Second Round Interviews: Week of June 28
Pre-Employment Processes: July 2021
Anticipated Start Date: August 2, 2021