The Communications Specialist supports the marketing needs of the SMSC's enterprises and internal departments by writing, editing, and implementing all SMSC communication materials and marketing collateral, including newsletters, reports, programs, blogs, advertisements, web copy, and more. The position is responsible for ensuring the accuracy and quality of all published materials, and requires a creative mind and an eye for detail.
- Writes and edits content for a wide variety of communication channels (print, web, email, video, etc.) on behalf of the SMSC's various enterprises and internal departments.
- Develops story ideas and contributes suggestions for layout, design, and photo selection.
- Reviews and edits all marketing materials to ensure correct spelling, punctuation, grammar, and department style standards.
- Attends various SMSC events to gather information for stories, take photos, and assist with other duties as needed.
- Conducts interviews (in-person and over-the-phone) with SMSC Members, employees, and subject matter experts.
- Fields media inquiries, prepares materials for submission, escorts media on site, and tracks coverage of the SMSC and its enterprises in the media.
- Works with the SMSC's public relations firm to coordinate press releases, media inquiries, placement of SMSC stories in the media, and crisis communications.
- Other duties as assigned, to include: writing speeches for the Business Council, conducting tours of the reservation, coordinating film projects, escorting film crews for approved projects, etc.
Days Monday - Friday Hiring Rate or Hiring Range 1. Based on Qualifications Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in liberal arts, journalism, communications, or related field required.
- Three years of work experience in marketing, communications, journalism, writing, editing, or related field required.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to brand style, tone, and standards in a compelling manner.
- Experience working with a design team on content layout for a wide variety of published materials.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple projects and priorities effectively.
- Ability to work both independently and as an active participant in team projects.
- Proficiency in word-processing, database, and presentation software packages.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Some outdoor work - 20%.