Recreation Specialist- Community Center
5 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Status: Full-time regular position, non-exempt
Pay Range: $25.36 to $28.91 per hour
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: Eden Prairie Community Center
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 9am-5:30pm. Hours of work will include evenings, weekends, and holidays. The position may require periodic changes to the schedule based on the demands of special events, facility schedules and department efforts.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Community Center Manager; Receives work direction from the Recreation Manager and Recreation Supervisors.
Community Center Division
The Eden Prairie Community Center consists of state-of-the-art facilities, recreation programs and fitness activities designed to help our residents Live Well! The Community Center facilities include a fitness center with top-of-the-line cardio equipment, resistance training and free weights, three group fitness studios, two specialized dryland training areas, two eight-lane, 25-yard lap pools with two diving boards and a climbing wall, a zero-depth entry recreation pool, spa, water slide, two full-sized racquetball courts, three ice rinks, men’s and women’s locker rooms, a family locker room and several meeting room facilities available for private parties, meetings and gatherings.
The full time Recreation Specialist supports the Parks and Recreation Department by welcoming and assisting customers to ensure all internal and external services are provided in a friendly, efficient and effective manner. This role will provide work direction to part-time employees and ensure that staff is executing high level customer service. The primary position responsibilities are:
- Assist with day to day operations of the Community Center as part of the full time management team. Stepping in to ensure successful operations of fitness, aquatics, ice arenas and at the customer service desk at any moment as the situation requires.
- Provides excellent customer service to patrons and employees of the Community Center by responding to questions and requests, in-person, through email and on the phone.
- Actively pursues efficient workflows to improve facility processes and practices. Creates and expands upon streamlined and systematic methods for park facility workflow in order to benefit customers and the entire department.
- Ensures maximum utilization of the Community Center by organizing the facility rental process. Duties that entail: maintaining appropriate records for rental revenue and facilities usage; orchestrating the rental collection process; providing part time staff with appropriate and timely communication of rentals; providing audio visual support for internal and external customers; greets and follows-up with customers before, during and after each event to make their experience as positive as possible.
- Provide a positive physical presence in the Community Center to sustain a high level of customer contact and support to the part time staff, especially on Saturdays. Troubleshooting concerns that may arise with customers, members or any groups using the facility.
- Keeps the Community Center management team informed of daily problems, new developments, and status of operation.
- Coordinates all park building, shelter and barn rentals, throughout the Eden Prairie parks system. Collaborates with Parks Division and Facilities division to ensure setup and cleaning support for rentals. Provide work direction for Customer Relations Leads and Park Attendants, facilitating timely information and assisting with strategic scheduling.
- Schedule and create monthly gymnasium schedules, balancing open and scheduled activities. Collaborate with Eden Prairie Youth Associations, Eden Prairie High School swim teams and internal user groups for joint usage of various shared spaces.
- Facilitate building security through scheduling external and internal door opening/closing times, create building badge access for staff and through managing the security camera database.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D required. Associates Degree or degree in Parks and Recreation preferred; CPR and First Aid certification preferred.
Work Experience: Minimum of two years direct customer service experience in a highly visible and active environment. Experience working with facility scheduling, executing and facilitating space rentals. Experience working in a recreation facility, hospitality/events industry, or similar field. Previous supervisory or providing work direction leadership experience preferred.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) required; experience with Rec Trac or other registration software preferred.
Physical Requirements: This position requires the ability to lift/pull/push/move/carry up to 30-50 lbs occasionally; and the ability to bend/stand/reach.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Sound Judgment: Able to make a decision based on the right mixture of facts; determines a course of action after weighing and analyzing different options.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Education and work history verification
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
Post Date: June 9th, 2021
Deadline Date: June 23rd, 2021
Review Applications: June 25th, 2021
Interviews: First Round June 29th - June 30th, Final Round: July 12th, 2021
Initiate Pre-Employment Checks: Week of July 13th
Anticipated Start Date (negotiable): August 2nd, 2021