Sr. Accountant/Accounting Analyst - REMOTE
General Position Summary:
Reporting directly to the CBO, the Accounting Analyst is responsible for maintaining the general ledger and financial data of the College, oversees the annual fiscal audit and assists in the preparation of financial statements in compliance with official guidelines and requirements. Works closely with campus peers and senior leadership to promote a culture of accountability and professionalism. Assists in developing, coordinating and implementing business information and reporting strategies that serves the constituencies of the College.
General Ledger and Fiscal Audit Oversight (25%)
- Ensures monthly, quarterly, and year end close processes are complete, accurate, and timely for review by CBO no later than 10th business day progressing towards a 5 day close.
- Endowment and investment recordkeeping in accordance with the institutional investment policy
- Oversees preparation of lead sheets and balance sheet account reconciliations for annual fiscal audit.
- Oversees annual fiscal audit process keeping CBO abreast of any concerns in the moment
- Provides ad-hoc reporting and analysis.
Process Improvement (25%)
- Provide leadership to the business office staff to ensure capitalization of the use of technology consistent with the mission of the College, minimizing the use of paper and ink by operating with automated processes wherever possible.
- Develop and/or improve business accounting processes to create an environment of continuous improvement towards best practices consistent with GAAP.
Financial Analysis (25%)
Liquidity Oversight (15%)
- Monitor daily cash balances ensuring that surplus cash is held in an interest bearing account.
- Report cash balances to key stakeholders at periodic intervals to ensure transparent communication of liquidity status
- Update cash flow projections reporting to stakeholders no less than monthly
- Budget Oversight (10%)
- Review performance against budget preparing variance reports for discussion with budget holders
- Develop forecasts as appropriate based on changing business conditions.
- Annual insurance renewal
- Manage insurance claims as needed
- Ensure solid separation of duties processes
- Develop and maintain the accounting policies of the institution performing an annual review to ensure currency.
Other duties as assigned (10%)
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in accounting, business or finance.
- At least five years’ progressively responsible experience, preferably in accounting or financial reporting.
- CPA or CMA preferred.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex data and translate that effectively into materials for a wide variety of constituents.
- Experience in higher education or non-profit preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, and Outlook with advanced skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent communication, analytical, and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently without close supervision.
- Ability to analyze complex data and make recommendations.