This employee researches and designs components and mechanical systems for Ditch Witch® products. He or she uses CAD equipment to create or modify model files of machine components and systems and works closely with various component suppliers and other engineers that have mechanical, electrical, and/or hydraulic responsibilities. This employee directs the work of drafter/illustrators, layout personnel, and technicians, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Analyzes product specifications & performance requirements to determine designs which provide a good balance of performance, functionality, cost & ease of manufacture.
- Directs & physically participates when needed in the construction & testing of prototypes to evaluate the design & functionality of the product.
- Solicits & evaluates input from various sources concerning product design & functionality to meet project & customer requirements & manufacturability of product designs.
- Reviews product design for compliance with standard engineering practices, company & industry standards, customer contact requirements & related specifications.
- Performs analysis by calculation, testing, or computer methods on legacy & new product design to determine safety factors, expected life, & manufacturability.
- Creates, maintains, &/or directs the creation/maintenance of essential design information & documentation including models, drafts, schematics & purchased part documentation as well as supporting technical publications.
- Office environment most of the time with regular trips to the shop and outside work.
- Shop and outdoor environments include physical hazards such as utilities (typically gas, electric, and water lines), powered vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic, sharp objects, and moving machinery. Outdoor environment includes work in all kinds of weather while operating and demonstrating machinery and construction site conditions such as open excavations, unimproved land, uncompleted structures, etc.
- Working with hazardous materials, including fuels, lubricants, solvents, and batteries.
- Normal 8 hour work day with occasional longer workdays required by project needs.
- Occasional overnight travel.
- Rapidly changing workload, priorities, demands, schedules, and deadlines.
- Regular, continuous use of a personal computer.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology or closely related engineering field. Job experience preferred.
- Experience with CAD software & solid modeling.
- Awareness regarding Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) methods and tolerance stack analysis desirable.
- Awareness regarding machining, turning, molding, casting, and other manufacturing processes desirable.
- Interest in mobile equipment design and operation.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.