MDLC LEGAL ADVOCATE – FULL-TIME
MDLC LEGAL ADVOCATE – FULL-TIME
The Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC), a unit of Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA), is seeking a full-time legal advocate at its Duluth office. The MDLC serves as the protection and advocacy system for people with disabilities in Minnesota, and the legal advocate will work with people who have disabilities to ensure access to disability services and rights. At this time, all or most activities are being done remotely. In the future, activities may be done in person, with travel throughout Minnesota required.
- Apply the principles of MMLA’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions
- Assist clients directly with accessing disability support and services, including handling administrative appeals conducted by the Department of Human Rights
- Maintain client confidentiality while handling advocacy activities
- Perform educational outreach in diverse communities
- Develop and provide trainings to people with disabilities, their family members, other advocates, and other stakeholders
- Visit facilities and programs that serve people with disabilities to ensure appropriate and individualized delivery of and access to services and support
- Work with MDLC staff members to develop case representation strategies, discuss trends, and identify problems that impact MDLC’s ongoing work
- Promote self-advocacy, self-determination, integration, and inclusion while advocating for disability rights and justice
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarity with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Medical Assistance, disability rights, programs, services, and issues affecting people with disabilities
- Ability to communicate complex issues and information clearly and effectively
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize case/project management with strict deadlines
- Self-motivated and a team player
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office required
- Access to reliable transportation, as travel may be required
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred
- Language proficiency, especially in Spanish, ASL, or Somali, preferred
SALARY: $34,908 to $40,681 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits
APPLICATIONS: Submit a resume and cover letter expressing interest in the position at https://mylegalaid.org/employment by August 2nd, 2021, or until position is filled. Please indicate in the cover letter that you are applying for the MDLC Legal Advocate position in Duluth.
No calls please.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is a nonprofit law firm, providing free legal advice and representation on civil law matters to people from low-income backgrounds, people with disabilities, and senior citizens. MMLA's mission is to advocate for the legal rights of these vulnerable, disadvantage people so that they may enjoy safe, healthy, and independent lives in strong communities. MMLA's goal is to live out its mission by achieving meaningful improvement in the lives of as many clients as possible each year. MMLA accomplishes this goal by providing direct legal advice and representation to individual clients, engaging in policy advocacy to achieve systemic change at all levels of government, developing collaborations with community organizations who also serve MMLA's clients, and providing outreach and legal education to clients, organizations, and the community.
MMLA also includes three statewide programs:
- Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC), which gives legal help to people with disabilities throughout Minnesota on legal issues relating to their disabilities
- Legal Services Advocacy Project (LSAP), which engages in policy advocacy on issues affecting people with low incomes
- Legal Services State Support (State Support), which provides poverty law trainings to legal services and pro bono practitioners and develops technology-based legal resources for the public and volunteer attorneys