1 day left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Status: Full-time regular position, non-exempt
Pay Range: $31.69 to $38.48 per hour
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8:00a.m. to 4:30p.m.), varies based on business need due to Council meetings, Commission meetings, and events.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to City Planner
Community Development Department
The Community Development Department is comprised of Planning, Assessing, Economic Development, and Housing and Community Services. This department supports the long-term vitality of the City through city-wide land use planning, development review activities, maintaining a positive environment for business, addressing housing and community service needs, and enhancing revenue generation through responsible property valuations.
The Planner I position provides information and educates citizens, developers, and co-workers on Chapters 11 & 12 of the City Code and Comprehensive Guide Plan. The incumbent of this position also assists developers, internal staff, external agencies, and citizens with processing applications for planned developments, rezoning, subdivisions, site plan reviews, variances and landscaping issues.
- Reviews submitted building permit plans and sign permits, writes zoning letters, educates citizens on seeking FEMA Letter of Map Amendments, meets with contractors, developers and citizens on specific building permit projects, attends weekly meeting and gives input as member of Development Review Committee and staff member; assists the planning staff as needed.
- Gives advice, guidance, and recommendations to property owners and contractors and/or developers regarding, planning, zoning and subdivision matters; identifies development issues and suggests alternative courses of action.
- Writes staff reports related to variance and site plan review, resolutions, and cash out development deposits; writes cover sheets and other supporting material for the Planning Commission and City Council.
- Administers landscaping surveys and securities for land development projects; completes landscaping inspections at the project site and sends out correspondence in response to findings.
- Administers Telecommunication applications for new and maintenance of antenna/towers. Staff liaison between Fire, Engineering, Water Utilities, Planning and City Attorney regarding telecommunication requests.
- Assists with processing development applications for rezoning, guide plan change, planned developments, plats and site plan review.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, or related field required.
Work Experience: Minimum of one year of planning experience required; three years of relevant experience preferred; exposure to City government through relevant internships preferred.
Technical Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) required; GIS and other ARC View applications preferred.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity for the majority of the work with lifting or carrying is limited to 25 pounds intermittently. There is a need to make presentations, which involves public speaking in front of in front of city leaders, businesses, and the general public. Between 15-25% of the time there is pressure associated with a project or deadline. Report preparation and writing at times requires extended use of a keyboard.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a normal office environment. Work interruptions are frequent.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Composure: Exhibits self-confidence and asserts self appropriately in several different situations; maintains professionalism while under pressure; can handle stress; energized by tough challenges.
Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
Creativity: Effective at generating ideas relative to the organization’s goals; able to build off the ideas of others in new and different ways; uses innovative ways to complete tasks and responsibilities.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Education and work history verification
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
Post Date: Tuesday, July 20th, 2021
Application Deadline: August 2nd, 2021
Review Applications: Week of August 2nd
First Interviews (virtual): Week of August 9th
Finals (In-person): Week of August 16th
Background check process: Week of Aug 16th
Start date: Sept 6th, 2021