Director of Student Life and Housing
Fostering and nurturing community is a hallmark of the Residence Life program at USF, as well as supporting the well-being and success of all students, both at USF and beyond. The Director of Student Life and Housing is responsible for the development, supervision, and management of the Residence Life area, which complements the academic mission of the University as well as encourages personal and spiritual growth of students in the context of a diverse living and learning community. Areas of oversight beyond Residence Life include commuter student support, educational and social programming, student discipline, and support for students in crisis.
General Administration and Supervision
- Work closely under the direction of the Vice President to advise, coordinate, and recommend student programs, services, and policies in support of the University’s mission and strategic initiatives
- Assist with regular communication with the student body and constituents
- Model effective professional development through participation in seminars, meetings, scholarship reviews, and regular interaction with other student life professionals
- Serve as a liaison between Student Life and University faculty, staff, and administration by consistent engagement with these groups and through active participation in University committees and task forces as assigned
- Supervise graduate and undergraduate student employees including interviewing, hiring, training, planning, assigning and directing work; also includes coaching, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints, and resolving problems; must have a mindset of mentoring employees under supervision and should lead in a way that sets a good example, promotes teamwork, and encourages a positive, professional, and efficient work environment
- Comply with all USF policies and regulations, and also with outside agencies' policies and regulations, including but not limited to Title IX, NCAA, NSIC, Department of Education, Clery Act, FERPA, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, and the Department of Justice.
- Provide other duties as assigned
Residence Life and Commuter Support
- Recruit, train, supervise, and develop the Residence Life staff (Graduate Assistant Resident Directors and Resident Assistants)
- Oversee the management and on-going operations of the residence halls, including regular collaboration with Facilities and Maintenance and Information Technology to develop and execute work order systems and cleaning/replacement schedules
- Recommend housing and residence life policies that promote safe, comfortable, healthy and respectful living and learning communities and that maintain compliance with state and federal regulations
- Serve as a primary personal resource for staff and students in dealing with specific residence hall concerns, including roommate conflicts and other developmental issues
- Lead an on-going program of staff evaluation and accountability
- Assess the needs of and provide for the support of non-residential students, including oversight of commuter space(s) throughout campus
Community Living, Discipline and Student Care
- Encourage students to demonstrate responsible, ethical, and others-oriented behavior in their living and learning communities
- Oversee the annual maintenance and updating of the USF Student Handbook
- Facilitate an effective redemptive and restorative discipline process for students, including consistent documentation and follow-up and appropriate reporting for Clery Act and Title IX needs
- Provide confident but humble care, wise counsel, and mentorship to students as needed
- Represent the University in a positive manner to students, parents, visitors, and the neighboring community through appropriate conduct, behavior and presentation on or off campus
- Partnering with academic support and other University departments to support and promote the institution’s retention efforts
- Participate on the CARE Team, a multi-department committee charged with identifying, assessing, recommending, and managing support for at-risk students
- An earned master’s degree in student development or a related field preferred; a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required
- A minimum of three (3) years full-time employment experience in a Student Development/Life leadership role within a higher education environment is required, with significant experience in the following:
- Campus residential living management
- Student disciplinary processes
- Direct or collaborative experience with educational and social programming
- Demonstrates a mature and growing Christian faith; strong interpersonal and organizational skills with the ability to relate well with students, staff and faculty; an ability to speak publicly in an effective manner; and a commitment to nurturing students’ sense of vocation, whole-person development, and well-being
- The ability to express an understanding of and commitment to the goals of a residential Christian liberal arts college generally and the mission of the University of Sioux Falls specifically
- Strong problem solving and time management skills, while showing an exemplary work ethic
- Demonstrated success working with and contributing to a strong team effort and departmental success as well as an ability to work independently
- Experience in Title IX issues, including education/prevention and complaint response is preferred
- A willingness to work a flexible schedule, including on-call shifts, evenings, and weekends
- Potential to live on-site in an apartment if beneficial to the candidate
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds; successfully pass a required background check; possess a valid driver’s license; and regularly stand, sit and walk during the course of the job
The preferred starting date is as soon as possible.
Applications will be reviewed immediately. Qualified applicants should provide letter of interest, résumé, and names and contact information for a minimum of three professional references.
The University of Sioux Falls is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.