Senior R&D Software Engineer
The person(s) in this client-facing role develop(s) new software for use in sometimes unique and one-of a kind equipment applications, such as microcontrollers, predictive temperature controls, and electric drives, as stand-alone packages or as part of a system with electronic equipment. Depending on the project, the employee will either work as an individual or as part of a multi-disciplinary team. The employee sometimes directs the work of other designers and technicians, and performs other duties as assigned. This role touches a wide variety of applications, learning, and researching -- beyond simply working on machine controls all day.
- Research, collect and analyze technical information from a variety of sources, including:
- Conversations with engineers, product managers, suppliers, customers, etc.
- Technical documents.
- Operation of equipment.
- Their own tests & experiments
- Research and develop design concepts for software, including operational features, user interface, and interactions with other equipment.
- Define & implement communication protocols between software and electronic equipment.
- Develop and de-bug software prototypes to demonstrate compliance with specifications.
- Define software test plan and track necessary changes for software through testing.
- Integration and test support including technical assistance and troubleshooting.
- Establish tracking and recording capabilities for production based on software serial number.
- Adhere to established software development processes.
- Prepare production documentation in the form of release files & User’s Manuals.
- Prepare patent-related documentation as required.
- Provide solutions to complex and challenging issues while balancing workload among multiple projects and priorities.
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field with appropriate software development courses and experience
- More than four (4+) years of experience in a software engineer or related engineering role.
- Must possess the ability to obtain U.S. security clearance.
- Experience with software including C, C++, C#, and .Net development environments.
- Demonstrated proficiency with math including advanced trigonometry and basic calculus.
- Familiarity with concepts of experimental design.
- Familiarity with WiFi, Bluetooth, USB, I2C and CAN communication.
- Understanding of GPS and GIS systems.
- Proven ability to deliver user-friendly applications to market.
- Experience with machine controls
- Experience with and/or understanding of electric drives and magnetic navigation preferred