Assistant Attorney General, Education Division
1 day left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Description: The Attorney General’s Office, recently recognized by the Star Tribune as a 2021 Top Workplace, seeks an experienced trial attorney to join its Education Division which is housed in the Solicitor General’s Section of the Office. The lawyer’s primary caseload will involve representing the Minnesota Department of Education and Minnesota State Colleges and Universities in lawsuits and administrative proceedings. The lawyer will also advise and represent one or more of the three public pension funds in litigation. This work may include opportunities to defend claims that Minnesota statutes are unconstitutional or to work on cases of state-wide impact.
- Responsibilities: The successful applicant will litigate cases in state and federal district courts, at the Office of Administrative Hearings, and will advise agency clients during administrative appeals. In this position, the lawyer will act as lead counsel in all phases of assigned cases, including pleading, discovery, and trial with minimal oversight. In addition, the successful applicant will assist and support other attorneys in the division on cases requiring more than one attorney.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA and licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota;
- Three years of complex civil litigation experience;
- An interest in handling cases involving complex statutory schemes;
- Proven ability to litigate autonomously and make strategic legal decisions as lead counsel on a diverse caseload;
- Proven ability to counsel and advise clients throughout all stages of a case;
- Ability to travel to counties throughout the state;
- Experience using electronic files, case management tools, and e-discovery platforms;
- Proven ability to contribute positively to a team and interact successfully with clients and members of the public;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Proven ability to multitask by managing an active caseload and meeting tight deadlines; and
- Proven ability to work in an inclusive, creative and collaborative work environment.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Five or more years of complex litigation experience, including the use of experts at trial;
- Knowledge of state and federal education laws, knowledge of state and federal laws governing public pensions, or a proven track record of handling cases that implicate complex statutory schemes;
- Knowledge of administrative law
- Appellate experience, including drafting briefs and arguing before appellate courts; and
- Current admission to the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota and the Eighth Circuit.
Why Work For Us: The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and recently recognized as a Star Tribune 2021 Top Workplace — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We’re a dynamic group of dedicated people who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling, and we’re actively building an internal culture that supports that calling. We invite you to apply to be part of the team that helps recruit, support and train dedicated attorneys, legal assistants, investigators, and other staff, all focused on helping Minnesotans.
We offer a great benefits package! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Public service with this office may qualify applicants to have part of their student loans forgiven under a federal student loan forgiveness program for state government employees. (Visit www.studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.)
Application Information: Interested applicants must apply by sending a resume, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications preferred by September 7, 2021.
Note: The Attorney General’s Office greatly encourages, celebrates and values diversity. It is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or military status. If you need reasonable accommodation for a disability, please call June Walsh at (651) 757-1199 or (800) 627-3529 (Minnesota Relay).
Apply for Assistant Attorney General, Education Division
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly