Since 1971, Smith Schafer has been one of Minnesota’s most successful CPA firms and continues to experience incredible growth. As an award-winning CPA firm, we have been featured on Forbes Top Tax Firm list, awarded Best of Accounting Client Satisfaction by ClearlyRated, and named a Top 175 Workplace in Minnesota by the Star Tribune.
At Smith Schafer, your investment of time and expertise will be rewarded with competitive pay, benefits, career opportunities, and professional development.
Smith Schafer is currently seeking an experienced Tax Manager to join our team. This individual will have the opportunity to lead and manage multiple tax engagements and staff deliverables by preparing complex individual and business tax returns, reviewing financial statements and tax planning projections besides researching complex technical tax issues. Our managers hire, train, and manage accountants and provide input on important operational decisions. Besides delivering high quality service to our clients, our managers help lead the firm in meeting the Tax Department's goals and initiatives. They will grow in their career by building client relationships, managing client projects and supporting business development efforts.
Key Responsibilities for the Tax Manager role:
- Assists with business development efforts by meeting with prospective clients, preparing quotes and proposals, and evaluating client needs.
- Develops, builds, and manages prospective and existing client relationships.
- Be involved in professional and community activities and participate in firm-wide marketing initiatives and efforts.
- Communicates effectively with existing clients, colleagues, management, and IRS representatives regarding a variety of tax matters.
- Provides and supports employee training for new hires and existing staff, which includes reviewing and evaluating their work and providing leadership and training for senior and staff accountants and seasonal interns.
- Reviews individual and business tax returns and assists with tax planning.
- Needs to review and understand the various financial documents and statements from clients.
- Prepares client billings in a timely manner and follows-up with clients regarding unpaid invoices.
- Handles sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Prepares internal memoranda, written correspondence/guidance, private letter rulings and other documents for submission to the IRS or Treasury Department.
- Works effectively in a team environment with principals, managers, and staff.
- BA/BS in Accounting/Finance or related field.
- 5 years of similar tax and accounting experience in a CPA firm.
- Strong technical, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of prioritization and exceptional attention to detail.
- CPA exam passed and license is active.
- 5-7 Years of similar tax and accounting experience in a CPA firm.
- Experience with ProSystems Tax Preparation software and QuickBooks.
- Customer-service oriented, demonstrated by the following attributes: proactive, observant, knowledgeable, and reliable.
Smith Schafer is an Equal Opportunity Employer.