About the Job
The Department of English in the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Minnesota is accepting applications for a part-time instructor to teach up to three sections of our 1xxx-level courses, such as our introduction to literature, the introduction to multicultural literature, introduction to the short story, and literature, science, and technology. We are looking for instructors with a broad knowledge of contemporary literature and experience with teaching, especially at the first-year level.
This is a 5-month position (1/13/22 to 5/29/22).
- Prepare for and teach classes in ways that best help students to learn
- Create Canvas course sites and syllabi that conform to department and University policies
- Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in field of practice
- Hold regular office hours that are clearly announced in advance
- Respond to student needs and questions professionally and in a timely manner
- Evaluate student learning and assign grades
- Communicate instructor evaluation process to students
- Receive department and University emails and respond in a timely manner
- Understand and follow all relevant University policies and procedures and participate in trainings, as required
- Participate in relevant departmental meetings
- Submit annual review materials
Starting rate is $6,000 per class paid out biweekly during the appointment period.
- B.A. degree in English or a closely related field
- A minimum of one year college teaching experience or three years of demonstrated successful professional experience in editing or publishing
- M.A. degree in English or a closely related field and two years or more college teaching experience and broad familiarity with English language, literature, and writing
- Ph.D. or an equivalent terminal degree in English or closely related field is required
- A minimum of two years college teaching experience
- Three years or more college teaching experience and a broad familiarity with English language, literature, and writing
- Preference is given to applicants with expertise in subject matter specific to a particular course.
About the Department
The Department of English serves approximately 400 majors and thousands of University of Minnesota undergraduate students. The teaching, scholarship and other creative work of the English faculty covers a broad range that includes literature, language, creative writing, literacy and rhetorical studies, linguistics and cultural inquiry, as well as the theories and documents that inform and critique these disciplines. For additional information, please see our website at http://english.cla.umn.edu/.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online through the University of Minnesota Careers Site: https://hr.myu.umn.edu/jobs/ext/340318
The deadline to apply is October 11, 2021, but the position will remain open until filled. To be considered for this position, please click the “Apply for Job” button and follow the instructions to complete an online application for the position. Additional documents must be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents there.
Please attach the following 4 documents:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement describing your demonstrated commitment and experience in creating a diverse and inclusive atmosphere for teaching (500 words max.)
- Contact information for three professional references