Parks Construction Supervisor
Status: Full-time regular position, exempt
Salary Range: $81,099 to $97,302
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: Maintenance Facility
Hours: Standard business hours (7:00am-3:30pm), varies based on business needs
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Parks & Natural Resources Manager
Parks & Natural Resources Division
The Parks and Natural Resources Division is responsible for providing and maintaining the comprehensive park and open space system. Wildlife management, forestry management and maintenance of the park and trail properties are a top priority.
The Parks Construction Supervisor completes all construction and the majority of contracted repair and maintenance activities using the most economic and time saving methods. This position provides supervision and guidance to full and part time maintenance workers and provides the necessary equipment and resources to complete all tasks. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Develops plans and specifications for various internal park projects; coordinates construction schedules with contractor and park employees on various jobs.
- Manages internal park construction and repair projects; develops a plan to accomplish goals; partners with appropriate stakeholders; evaluates progress and obstacles; alters plan in order to drive results; reports progress of projects by communicating with necessary parties.
- Coordinates work requests from other city departments that are made for Institutional Community Work Crew (ICWC); assists in annual budget request for supplies, equipment and capital expenditures; reports accidents in a timely manner; purchases equipment.
- Inspects park and city wide trail system and determines schedule of preventive maintenance, repairs and improvements to the trail infrastructure.
- Maintains and updates annual playground inspection records; makes recommendations of play structure replacement based on safety audit and Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) funding.
- Inspects park tennis and hard court facilities and determines schedule of preventive maintenance, repairs and improvements.
- Supervises employees that are in charge of play structure inspections and construction projects; prepares daily work schedules for full-time and seasonal employees; trains, mentors, and assigns duties; monitors quality of work and determines level of responsibility each employee is capable of handling; develops staff by evaluating skill level, providing resources, and direction to succeed.
- Responds to emergency situations; contacts employees in cases of emergency call back.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Minimum of two-year technical degree/certificate in Public Works Administration or grounds maintenance required. Degree in Construction Management or Project Management preferred. Ability to obtain Playground Safety Inspector Certification within 12 months.
Work Experience: Minimum of six years of experience in construction project management with budget responsibility for project oversight and related items required. Experience with park facility, playground construction, asphalt trail construction and maintenance is preferred; minimum of four years of experience providing work direction required.
Physical effort is light for the majority of work with lifting or carrying limited to 25 pounds intermittently. There are frequent visits to City Park locations to check on city crew and private contractors. There is an occasional need to make presentations, which involves public speaking in front of Park Commissioners and residents. Report preparation and writing requires use of a keyboard and computer. Work interruptions are frequent.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today and about possibilities; can inspire and motivate others; provides direct, complete, actionable and positive feedback to others; able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
Problem Solving: Ability to tackle a problem by using logical, systematic, sequential approach; makes a systematic comparison of two or more alternatives; notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information; identifies a set of features, parameters or considerations to take into account, in analyzing a situation or making a decision.
Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; makes each individual’s work feel important; is someone people like working for and with; able to motivate direct reports, project members and a team; invites input and encourages contribution; empowers others; effectively delegates by sharing responsibilities and accountability.
Project Management: Looks ahead to the future; identifies appropriate objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; continuously monitors project and adapts scope as appropriate; measures results and analyzes outcome; follows through on commitments.
Hiring Talent: Makes appropriate staffing decisions based on the right mixture of facts; follows all legal requirements, policies and procedures; practices equal and fair treatment and opportunity for all; hires the best people; assembles a balanced and capable staff, and builds a network of resources; able to identify talent and potential; develops succession plans to anticipate and prepare for team change.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Driver’s license check (must have valid driver’s license and excellent driving record)
- Education and work history verification
- Leadership Evaluation
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
To apply, please go to www.edenprairie.org and click on the employment tab on the top of the page.
Application Deadline: October 4, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
First Round Interviews: October 14-October 15, 2021
Second Round Interviews: October 25, 2021